Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fullofsmiles90 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 06:47 PM
    Abusive husband
    My husband is very mentally abusive. I can't take it anymore.
    I need a way out. But if I try to leave he'll take my kids away.
    I have two small ones. I want to leave him so he won't know
    Where I am with my children. If I just divorce him, he will
    Get my kids on the weekends and abuse them and try to make
    Them hate me. He'll always be around. What do I do?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:29 PM

The national domestic violence hotline will help you 24 hours a day ,everyday.They provide crisis intervention,information and referrals.It is a very reputable site.

Their website with further information is

National Domestic Violence Hotline

1-800-799-SAFE
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:49 PM

Legally, you can't run away from him. You know all those milk carton ads showing "kidnapped" kids? Some of those are women like you who took the kids and ran. I can't say I blame them, but it means hiding all the time, even from your own family.

I didn't want my ex husband to have my kids when they were little for exactly the reasons you are giving, but I think it's still better to leave the right way if you are not in immediate physical danger.

First of all, even though the kids are with him part of the time, when they are with you, they should be able to get a complete break from him and have all the luxuries of a mother who isn't being emotionally abused. It really helps them to have a peaceful and structured haven.

Second, if you play your cards right, he will rapidly discover the caring for the kids is a lot of work and will give them back to you. (That happened to me. The trick was not to appear to want them too much and to grit my teeth and let him actually have them for a week at a time. He totally neglected them, didn't get them to school on time, forgot to buy groceries, didn't make them do their homework, showed them X rated movies... But he finally caved and gave them back because he couldn't figure out how to be a parent and also work.)

Third, he can't actually take them away from you and he is blowing hot air when he says that. My ex said I'd live in the street, he'd take the house (which I paid for) and take our kids. NONE of that happened.

Fourth, read the following book, and it will help you know you are doing the right thing and also help you to recover from what you have been through and supply the kind of environment your children will need to recover:

Helping Your Children Heal the Wounds of Witnessing Abuse, by Lundy Bancroft. It addresses the verbal and emotional abuse addressed to the kids too.

It's very important to keep your family (you and your children) all together emotionally, not to let your ex pit you against the kids or the kids against each other.

And, yes, check with a women's shelter for advice. You will need an escape plan before you leave so that you and the kids are not in danger and so you don't end up without things you need and have to go back. Leaving is hard, but you are doing the right thing.

My life is so much better without my abusive ex.

Do you think your husband is capable of violence? If you have any concerns that way, pay attention to your feelings and be careful.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 07:54 PM

First he has you scared and abused, you need help to know you can fight back.

You can leave him, take the kids and get custody. Ok, he may get visits, that can not be stopped, but now he is there fulll time with them, is that "better"

So you take the kids, file for divorce, make him pay a large amount of child support and maybe alimony and you start telling him what he can and can't do
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Actually, I forgot to say that if you have a paper trail demonstrating that he is neglectful and abusive to the children it's possible that he would not be given even partial physical custody.

Make an effort to write down every abusive things he does each day. Some of it will not be verbal. For example, he may put you in a position where you have to choose between the children's well being and your own or the kids and a friend or family member. Write it all down and talk to a lawyer about your options.

We are rooting for you!
    lucytwo2 Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Mar 12, 2009, 03:53 PM

Also,if there is a paper trail of abuse then his visitation will be supervised at a location other then where he lives and there should be no overnight stays.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my husband abusive? [ 13 Answers ]

My husband constantly puts me down. Not just name calling (example: hoe, *****) but also personal insults like stupid, lazy, fat, and makes me feel bad for not working. I only have a high school diploma and can't afford child-care. We have three kids, and I am pregnant again. I got pregnant on the...

Friends husband is abusive [ 10 Answers ]

I've recently found out that one of my best friends husband has pushed her around in the past, this all came to head a few weekends ago when he was very absuse and the police caught him strangling her. The police have put a restraining order on him, however she's such a good and sensible person...

Is my husband abusive? [ 23 Answers ]

My husband and I recently got back together after a 6 month separation. He begged me to come back and so I did. I've loved him most of my life. We have been together for 9years and we have 3 small children together ages 1-8. I love him dearly but here lately it seems like we are getting back to...

Verbally abusive husband [ 4 Answers ]

Hi this is a first time for me . I need some help I have been married for 13 years to a man who loves his children and wife. But is so verbal abusive that my son is now verbal to me like my husband treats me. He can be the most loving husband and dad that you could ever ask for and the next...

Girlfriend and her abusive husband [ 11 Answers ]

Hello... I am not sure what to do here but was hoping I could get some sort of advise, guidance, or help for my girlfriend and myself. My girlfriend is once again staying with me after leaving her abusive husband for the 4th time now.. she had lived with me before but after talking with her husband...

View more questions Search