Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AbsntMinddPrfsr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 06:30 PM
    Can you separate power to two devices from the same circuit/switch?
    I have a bathroom overhead fan and a wall light connected to the same wire at their switch. Is there any way separate the power so I can turn the light and fan on and off independently?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 03:58 PM

Sure - add a separate switch. You would change out the existing electrical box that has the one switch for a 2-gang box and intall 2 switches with a shared power supply. I suggest you post this question in the forum "Home & Garden - Electrical & Lighting" - you're bound to get more answers there.
    ErnieM Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 02:00 PM

I'm not sure it fits any code but...

I own a co-op apartment and the bathroom fan usually annoyed me if I was just in there while not taking a shower (it was too loud for me to hear the TV from the other room). The fan came on when the BR light was turned on.

What I did was seeing the power to the fan came from below the fan I just opened the wall, disconnected the cable (with the breaker OFF) and snaked it into an old work box, then added a short length of cable from the work box to the fan and pushed the box into place.

Then I added a new switch for the fan. This way, the fan would only turn on when I wanted it, just flick it on for my morning shower and off later when I no longer wanted it.

Your wiring will be more challanging then mine as my fan was wall mounted and I pout the new switch directly below it.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 23, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsntMinddPrfsr View Post
    I have a bathroom overhead fan and a wall light connected to the same wire at their switch. Is there any way separate the power so I can turn the light and fan on and off independently?
    A possible other solution would be to replace the single switch with a dual single switch-in-one unit, keep the light on one switch, and wire the fan to the other switch!
    anidanraj Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 10:15 PM

Yes you can do by using one more switch but before that check the wiring laid. If the wiring is done in such a way that one control switch and only two wiring going in to the fan and light point and parlleled or looped in one ckt. Then wiring need to be changed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add on/off switch to separate two lights on ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I one on ,off switch controlling a ceiling fan that we turn on with a pull chain and a separate track lighting that is always on when we use the fan. How do I wire a second on, off switch that I will add next to the present on, off switch.

Separate cooktop/wall oven on same circuit? [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my kitchen. It currently has 1 50A breaker for the electric range. I want to install a 36" cooktop and 30" wall oven. Can I install both of these on the existing 50A 240v breaker? I checked ratings for some of the models that I am considering, and combined they average about...

Does in-the-floor heating really need a separate circuit? [ 8 Answers ]

I want to put in under-the-tile floor heating in my bathroom, which is being renovated. The instructions that come with the heating cable say that the circuit for the heating wire must be separate. This is impossible to do! The heating wire that would go in is rated at only 300 watts. Is there...

Bathroom Light and Fan connected at switch need to separate [ 3 Answers ]

All of our bathrooms have the vanity light fixture and the ceiling exhaust fan connected to one switch, so we can never just have the light or just the fan on. They are ALWAYS on together. We want to put them on sperate switches, but when we opened the face plate we found to white wires bound...

Ceiling Fan Wiring for 2 separate switch locations [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to install a ceiling fan that will have two location that will each control the fan and light. The rest of my ceiling fans have 12-2 wire providing power at the switch and a 12-3 three running from the 2-gang switch box to the fan. This should allow me to control the lights and fan...

View more questions Search