Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsTMatt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2006, 11:38 AM
    401k loan won't rollover left holding the bag!
    My company recently merged with another and now I have two different 401k plans. The company is planning on merging the plans for the employees early 07. I would like to take a loan out of the plan I have had established the longest but will not have paid it back completely by the time the plans are merged. I learned that whatever portion of the loan that isn't paid at that time of the merger will go into default and I will be forced to pay the taxes and possible penalties on the loan. It just doesn't seem fair that they can do that though. They won't allow us to redistribute or money ourselves but yet I will be penalized because they are doing it at a time when I am repaying a loan. Is there anyway around that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 24, 2006, 01:01 PM
    I would ask your benefits administrator to ask for clarification from the IRS on this. Their thinking may be that they are terminating one plan and rolling over your funds into the other. When a plan is terminated, outstanding loan amounts can be considered a withdrawal.

However, there might be other alternatives to merge the plans rather then terminate. So your loan could also be merged. If they won't check with the IRS, then I would call them yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rollover 401k to Australia? [ 7 Answers ]

Do you know if it's possible to rollover a 401k plan to Australia without being taxed or without penalty? I have roughly $9000 in my 401k and want to know the best thing to do with this money when I move back to Australia permanently. I don't want to be penalized/taxed 30% and would like to keep...

Loan against 401K [ 1 Answers ]

My 401K is still with :confused: my employer for one year and a day after my resignation. How can I obtain a small loan (3K). The year is almost up but I need the cash now!:confused:

401k Rollover and past dividend [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, In 2005 I rolled over my entire 401k from a previous employer to my current employer's 401k. Do I need to state this rollover anywhere when filing my taxes for 2005? Also, in 2004 I forgot to state a small dividend that I received. Can I add that dividend from 2004 to the taxable...

View more questions Search