Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria_ramirez64 Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Mar 4, 2009, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maria_ramirez64 View Post
    Pink spots? There is no nose, except holes? is that stentotic nares?
    U have answered my questions

Mar 4, 2009, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maria_ramirez64 View Post
    u have answered my questions
    Thank you for answering questions

Mar 4, 2009, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I would say it is yes. But in saying that the puppy might be fine and grow up perfectly happy or it could need corrective surgery. There is no way to say exactly what is wrong with the puppy without seeing a photo or anything. The only way you are really going to know is with a vet check. Sorry I can't help you out more...
    I'm going to see the pup today, so I will try and get a close up pic but she wants me to choose which one, and I will tell her about taking her to a vet and see what she say.

Thank you for all your help:)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 09:13 AM
    Let us know how it goes :)

Mar 4, 2009, 11:41 AM
    Let us know how it goes :)
    I have called the vet in our area, to get the pup a phyiscal examination. It won't happen until Friday, so I am going to ask the breeder, if I can take the pup to the vet. Than I called another breeder in the area who is a actual breeder and ask about the nose, she said you can until if the nose is going to grow or not just by looking at the nostrials, and that it doesn't necessary have to be black (like it is going). We see what happens.

Also if all goes well, I am going to enroll her in puppy kingarden school.
    :)
    That's for all the info.:)
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 11:47 AM
    Good to hear :)
    And puppy kindergarten is a very good idea, don't expect him to behave to well when he's so young but it's good to socialize them as early as possible :)

Mar 4, 2009, 11:49 AM
    Good to hear :)
    And puppy kindergarten is a very good idea, don't expect him to behave to well when he's so young but it's good to socialize them as early as possible :)
    Yes I believe that too. And he is a she.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 11:52 AM
    Lol sorry! That's twice I've done that today, I was calling Altenweg's bunny a she and it was a he!

Mar 4, 2009, 11:56 AM
    lol sorry! that's twice i've done that today, I was calling Altenweg's bunny a she and it was a he!
    That's funny, we all make mistakes.

You know with this shih tzu, I don't want to make a mistake. It could be costly. And I just can't afford that.

Hey could you possibly send me a pic of the pup without a nose and just showing the nostrils, is that possible?
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 12:04 PM
    I'm not sure if this is what your pup has but this is a pic of stenotic nares:

Mar 4, 2009, 12:15 PM
    I'm not sure if this is what your pup has but this is a pic of stenotic nares:

no... its like completely flat!! around the nose, there is no cartilage of a nose forming.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Mar 4, 2009, 12:25 PM

I know that all puppies need love, but if you are not financially prepared to handle the bill that this puppy may leave you with, my suggestion to you would be to look for another. This is the breed that I have, I have two of them and they are costly without the extra vet bill of having this troubled breathing condition. Please consider all costs. Good Luck

Mar 4, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat View Post
    I know that all puppies need love, but if you are not financially prepared to handle the bill that this puppy may leave you with, my suggestion to you would be to look for another. this is the breed that I have, I have two of them and they are costly without the extra vet bill of having this troubled breathing condition. Please consider all costs. Good Luck
    Thank you I just went to look at her nose and they are only 4 weeks old, and her nose is forming, so she is still young. I can financially afford to care for my puppy I just did not want the add cost.. and I'm only getting one, not two.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Mar 4, 2009, 02:42 PM

You have mentioned they are four and five weeks old? Puppies like babies develop their parts inside the womb. This puppy would have been born with a nose if it was going to have one. Non the less I think you missed the point. They do have a very short nose and maybe it looks like it isn't there, however you have described no nose and just too nostrils in the face. I am aware that you are after one dog and not two. The additional expense will come from caring for a dog born without a nose. Choice is yours, glad that you are prepared to care for it.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 4, 2009, 06:05 PM

It would be really interesting if you could get a good close up picture of this pup's nose, I'd love to see what it looks like! It is obviously able to breathe, so it may not be anything more than a cosmetic problem.
    dolce princess Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Hi I have a shih tzu look up Google about the food. These dogs are kind of hard to train but just show the puppy daily that's what I did with mine and it took about three months to train him how to go outside. These dogs are smart look up you tube and it will show you how smart these dogs are. They are very stuborn that's why it takes them a while to learn.

Mar 5, 2009, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat View Post
    you have mentioned they are four and five weeks old? Puppies like babies develop their parts inside the womb. This puppy would have been born with a nose if it was gonna have one. Non the less I think you missed the point. They do have a very short nose and maybe it looks like it isn't there, however you have described no nose and just too nostrils in the face. I am aware that you are after one dog and not two. The additional expense will come from caring for a dog born without a nose. Choice is yours, glad that you are prepared to care for it.
    Thanks it does have a nose it was just really tiny, and I have never seen a shih tzu puppy before.

Mar 5, 2009, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carolbcac View Post
    It would be really interesting if you could get a good close up picture of this pup's nose, I'd love to see what it looks like! It is obviously able to breathe, so it may not be anything more than a cosmetic problem.
    The pup has a nose. I was just really paranoid, when I say her she was only 3 weeks old. And her hair was in the way. I have never seen a shih tzu as a puppy. And it is my first pup. Just be caution.:)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 06:18 PM

It sounds like you are getting this pup from a backyard breeder that didn't do genetic testing before breeding. The nose isn't the only thing that could be wrong with this puppy.

I would never advise buying from a backyard breeder, that just sends the message that what they are doing is okay. Having said that, if you are determined to get this puppy you really need your vet to do a complete physical. Genetic testing would also be a good idea but it's expensive. Just from the nose alone, I think this puppy is going to cost you a lot in vet bills for this and any other defects it may have.

Shihtzu's have a lot of genetic problems to begin with, it's even worse when people who don't know what they're doing breed.

Please, don't make a decision until this pup has been seen by a vet.

Good luck.

Mar 5, 2009, 09:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    It sounds like you are getting this pup from a backyard breeder that didn't do genetic testing before breeding. The nose isn't the only thing that could be wrong with this puppy.

I would never advice buying from a backyard breeder, that just sends the message that what they are doing is okay. Having said that, if you are determined to get this puppy you really need your vet to do a complete physical. Genetic testing would also be a good idea but it's expensive. Just from the nose alone, I think this puppy is going to cost you alot in vet bills for this and any other defects it may have.

shihtzu's have alot of genetic problems to begin with, it's even worse when people who don't know what they're doing breed.

Please, don't make a decision until this pup has been seen by a vet.

Good luck.
    I do plan on having the pup check by a vet, and she has already told me that if there is something wrong with the pup I can return her and get my money back.
    Thank you:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New Shih Poo puppy won't eat? Any suggestion? [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought my son a 7 week old Shih Poo puppy for Christmas. The problem is he hasn't eaten at all. He (after 4 days) ate a couple of bites of wet puppy food, but hasn't eaten since. I was told by the Vets office that he won't starve himself, but he seems very weak to me. Im very worried! Ive...

How to take care of a shih tzu puppy? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I just got a 3 months old shih tzu (I named it ficco) and He doesn't want to be put in the crate so I just let him in a small room with papers on every corners. The problem is.. is it okay if I leave him in that room from 7am-3pm? Because I'm in college. Though I have a maid who only gives...

Shih tzu puppy yapping problem [ 7 Answers ]

Please help! I have a 2 1/2 month old mixed breed puppy and 1 month old shih tzu who yaps every time that it gets on my nerves! I never had this kind of problem with my other puppy. And also, when they play, my shih tzu yaps and barks at my other puppy like they are fighting and would not stop...

Shih Tzu Puppy Throwing Up [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 5+ month old shih tzu puppy. He has been throwing up about every other morning since last week. (Including today, has thrown up two days in a row since he also did yesterday.) Very odd. He is still eating, pooping/peeing regularly. Everything looks good. He had been on muscle...

Puppy shih-tzu [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy who is four months old, just started licking a tearing up her puppy pads and if she misses the pad and it gets pee pee on the floor she is licking it up. This is strange and she just started doing this:( :( :confused:

View more questions Search