Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Mar 3, 2009, 08:27 PM
    Smoking Cessation Aids.
    I have been a smoker now for nearly 18 years, averaging a pack a day. I have attempted quitting several times over the years, unsuccessfully. I am at a turning point in my life professionally, and would like to incorporate into this transition a final, successful, and complete stop to my nasty habit.

FAILURE #1:
    I have been through smoking cessation classes and was prescribed Zyban (a.k.a. Wellbutrin Bupropion), and quit smoking for a short time while taking it. The sides effects of the Zyban were unacceptable (turned me into a raging A**hole). Very shortly after stopping the medication due to those side effects, I began smoking again.

FAILURE #2:
    I have used the Nicoderm CQ patches per family doctor's instructions. All I managed to do is make myself sick trying to smoke with a patch on, and the "vivid" dreams that came with the patch were of the "B-rated" horror movie type. Never really felt my addiction was a chemical one, but a physical habit allowed to be a controlling habit.

Psuedo-failure, but failure non-the-less #3:
    Last year I did the "cold laser therapy", a.k.a. laser accupuncture, and a few other vague names, and quit cold turkey the day of the treatment. Drove home 2.5hrs WITH cigarettes within arm's reach and never even looked at them. No desire to smoke what so ever. I am an extremely heavy smoker while driving. I was amazed. But, in the job I had, an "extreme job" of sorts, there was no such thing as a break in the 12hr work day, not including the 20 minute lunch, unless you were a smoker. Didn't take but about two days of that before I was forcing myself to hold a lit cigarette, just to get that break. Yup, you guessed it, wasn't a few days after that, I wasn't just 'holding' that cigarette anymore, I was smoking it.

So, with all that background info laid out there, I know that I have it in me to quit. Problem is, I 'enjoy' smoking. It's a lifestyle. It's the hand to mouth and physical occupation of that free hand. It's that excuse to go outside every few minutes(I don't smoke indoors). When a cup of coffee or cold beer is in one hand, there's supposed to be a cigarette in the other, or so my mind tells me.

How do I get past the physical addiction that comes with smoking?

I don't have that 'extreme job' anymore (thankfully). I am about to embark on a demanding career that needs my complete mental faculties, so I don't dare attempt a chemical cure again. The patches don't do diddly squat for me. I know it's a mental thing, and it's all in my head, but after so many years, it has manifested into a very real, tangible problem. Flat-out cold turkey is out of the question, because quite frankly, I LIKE my wife! She WON'T like me going through DT's and being an A**hole!

What are my realistic options?

Anyone come across a non-chemical, effective method that doesn't involve nicotene replacement (patch, gum, etc)? I'm a non-hypnosis candidate. "Laser accupuncture" clinics have vanished from my area. I want this to be my last time, for good this time.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 02:43 PM

I smoked for a number of years. I then got sick, was hospitalized, came home, opened my closet and realized that that's what my clothing actually smelled like. I have never smoked another cigarette. Obviously I wasn't addicted or I wouldn't have stopped cold.

My husband was a heavy smoker, had a heart attack and never smoked another cigarette.

I don't know what makes the difference. My "ex" went the patch route and had such terrible nightmares that he had to go cold turkey. Night after night he was back in Viet Nam - it was frightening. He did quit and stayed "quit."

Maybe it's the extent of the dependency. I don't know.

Mar 5, 2009, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Obviously I wasn't addicted or I wouldn't have stopped cold.
    I'm guessing that it's not the nicotine that I have an addiction to, but going through the motions. In the mornings when I have my coffee, I light that first smoke and you would think it was my very first, all over again. First pull is hard to get down and I still get a buzz from it.

My husband was a heavy smoker, had a heart attack and never smoked another cigarette.[
    I hope it doesn't take anything that serious to make it final for me.

I don't know what makes the difference. My "ex" went the patch route and had such terrible nightmares that he had to go cold turkey. Night after night he was back in Viet Nam - it was frightening. He did quit and stayed "quit."
    It's pretty much how it was for me on the patch. Every night when I slept, I was reliving things I had long put behind me.

I just need to figure out the best way to take control of my mind, I guess. I have no doubt that it's all in my head. I took a road trip last night, 5 hour round trip, and didn't smoke the whole time because we took my wife's truck and I won't smoke in it. Granted, the moment we stopped at the turn around point, I jumped out and burned one, but I don't think it was because I needed one.
    NJExit9 Posts: 31, Reputation: -1

Mar 7, 2009, 10:33 PM
    Quitting smoking is so easy. I've done it over a thousand times ~ Mark Twain
    NJExit9 Posts: 31, Reputation: -1

Mar 7, 2009, 10:42 PM

Smoking has a HOLD on the user BIG TIME! Not only do you have to deal with the main physical withdrawal, but there's a huge psychological impact that will constantly Remind you / Enable you to give in all the time. Just the smell or sight of a cigarette. Can you stop hanging with your best friends who are also smokers? Can you have the willpower to be agitated, deal with the headaches, and uncontrollable urges that you start eating everything just to calm you down for the moment?
    Basically I REALLY Truly think you should plan this thing down in WRITING and document everything about how you are Going to quit step by step and then Document your progress. Do this Thing when you go on a week or 2 vacation. If you are traveling with a smoker, you are in big trouble. Nicotine stays in the body only like a little over 3 days, but psychologically you will be tempted at the impulse for many months... Take it one step at a time. If you give in only once, you have failed and must start over. If you win, you should always treat yourself to something nice with the money you saved from not buying cigs. Here in NJ they are over $6 per pack so it adds up significantly especially if you were a more than one pack a day person.
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Mar 22, 2009, 01:14 PM
    I smoked from the age of 12 till I was 43.
    I tried once before with patches but have to admit I was not really ready.
    The second time I decided I was just Tired of spending money I did not really have, I was sick of my son leaning away from me when I got close, I was tired of having breathing issues.
    I slowed down and started limiting myself so many a day. Than I made a rule No smoking in certain places that really were trigger places for me in my bed while watching TV, while at my computer(that was a BIG one) I decided OK No more smoking in the house at all. This was a good one because I started getting a real whiff of the smell what is that smell? OH shucks that's ME No wonder my child leans away and covers his nose YUCK>
    I came to the end of the carton and I never looked back.
    In all honesty had I known I smelled like that before ugh I would have quit long ago. It took my 13 year old to pull his shirt over his face when I spoke to him and lean away to make me get it.
    It feels GREAT that he no longer does that and will hug and kiss me again :o
    I guess what it comes to is a point at which you just say that is it I am not doing it anymore.
    Slowly limiting places you will allow yourself to smoke and limiting how many you will smoke a day and slowly lower those numbers is a great start.
    I celebrated a year Jan 15 2009
    You can do it I was smoking 3 packs a day If I can You can Honest.

Mar 30, 2009, 04:55 AM
    Well, I did it. I quit COLD TURKEY.

It wasn't easy, and had cigarettes available to me, three packs to be exact. I had a cigarette with my morning coffee last Thursday morning (the 26th) and decided "that's it, no more". I set them down.

Ironically, I've been 'sick' every since I quit. My sinuses have gone berserk and my voice has dropped an octave or two, and now I sound like a mix between Clint Eastwood and Froggy from the Little Rascals. "Go ahead, Spanky, Make my day!"

But, I'm guessing it's 18 years' worth of yuck trying to knock it's way loose out of my lungs.

Other than keeping hydrated and using an expectorant, can anyone suggest anything that will speed up the recovery process?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 06:59 AM

Good for you! I quit cold turkey over 10 years ago and consider it one of my life accomplishments.

Righteous indignation was the motivator for me to stay off the smokes. I just kept saying to myself "I'm not going to let this crap kill me!"
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 07:16 AM

They have this electronic cigarette that is smoke free.You insert nicotine filters in it and instead of smoke its some sort of smoke free vapor.I want the monkey off my back too.In April in NY cigs are going up to $6.70 a pack.

Smart Fixx Electronic Cigarettes - Electronic Cigarette Home

Mar 30, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    cigs are going up to $6.70 a pack
    That's a kicker for me. I'll trade my habit for a hobby. And at a pack a day for 18 years, I can afford one HELL OF A HOBBY NOW!!

Oh yeah, and the health part, yeah that's good too, lol.

Went down to the pharmacy and grabbed some extra strength Mucinex and a box of green tea and drinking my body weight in water, but surprisingly doing better than I thought I would. The cravings are kicking my butt about twice a day, and the rest of them are gone within a minute. I am most surprised that morning coffee isn't my hardest time. Most of my worst cravings are when I was using a cigarette as a reason to escape something social. That's going to be a tough one to beat. I no longer have that excuse to step out.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vwdieseljunkie View Post
    Well, I did it. I quit COLD TURKEY.

It wasn't easy, and had cigarettes available to me, three packs to be exact. I had a cigarette with my morning coffee last Thursday morning (the 26th) and decided "that's it, no more". I set them down.

Ironically, I've been 'sick' every since I quit. My sinuses have gone berserk and my voice has dropped an octave or two, and now I sound like a mix between Clint Eastwood and Froggy from the Little Rascals. "Go ahead, Spanky, Make my day!"

But, I'm guessing it's 18 years' worth of yuck trying to knock it's way loose out of my lungs.

Other than keeping hydrated and using an expectorant, can anyone suggest anything that will speed up the recovery process?

That is awesome that you have quit! Really awesome, good for you!

You cannot speed up the process, but, you can be prepared for the rough times, and there will be some. You have to expect that at some point, you will be craving a smoke, and will be in a place where you could have one.

How are you going to handle that. By the time that happens, your physical addiction will have been beat, but psychologically, you may be in for a real struggle.

I would suggest be prepared. Have some Nicorette Gum, the 2 mg. size, handy in a pocket. Or some special mints, or small candies. Anything you can pop quickly in your mouth that will satisfy and detract you from the cigarette urge.

Be aware of your surroundings, and mood changes. You may not even be aware why you are feeling 'off' until you realize the fellow over in the corner there is puffing away, and suddenly you are faced with the urge again.

It isn't just the smoking, it's the smell of comfort.

All I can say is be prepared to accept that you will have some very weak moments, but you will be okay as long as you are realistic, and have a plan in place.

For the time being you might want to avoid the usual places where you used to smoke with your smoking buddies. Be prepared for them to notice that you aren't smoking, and keep your explanations short and simple, because they will ask.

Also, anything you 'paired' with a smoke, you mentioned beer, or maybe the drive home from work, or at a friend's house to watch the game, avoid those situations in the early stages. When you are really secure, your resolve will be that much greater, as will your success.

Don't ignore the warning signs, and recognize them for what they are, and know how to control them.

Absolute best of luck to you!

Mar 30, 2009, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    How are you going to handle that. By the time that happens, your physical addiction will have been beat, but psychologically, you may be in for a real struggle.
    I think this is the hardest part. The nicotine is already out of my system, and I'm not feeling what I expected a chemical withdrawal to feel like. The hardest part for me is the craving for the physical activity of smoking. Hell, it's something that I have done at least twenty times a day, every day, for over eighteen years, and now not at all. The habit is what is the biggest hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    It isn't just the smoking, it's the smell of comfort.
    That is VERY true. I have even considered smoking a pipe for several years, as I really do love the smell of a sweet tobacco. Tonight I had the thought again. Every night, when the day was done and dinner was over, my wife and I would sit on the porch and watch the sunset if the weather permitted, and I would have my smoke. I am still playing with the idea of a pipe, just for that "occasion". But leaving it just that, the end of the day "occasion". Not something that would leave the porch. That's not cheating, right? Lol.

I think I can say I am pleased with myself. I really didn't think I would have it this easy, and I completely assumed I would cheat a few times. I still have that half a pack I pulled that last morning smoke from, sitting in the console of my truck, and even took the lighter out a few times to light brush fires, and never thought twice about the smokes. I may keep them as trophies! Lol.

Since I have gotten off so lightly with the smoking part, now I guess it's time to start the really hard part, the exercise. Time to work on those lungs and heart and get everything flowing like it should be. I got a be making an 8-minute mile and a half run by December!
    zolismom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 02:05 PM

You must want to quit. I did years ago for the following reasons; I like to breath, the money and the stench. Now it is just not acceptable! My husband still is trying to quit. Hopefully this will happen soon.
    giri_passport Posts: 34, Reputation: 5

Apr 3, 2009, 03:44 AM

Hi... Even I am a chain smoker... I have been addicted to cigarettes for 4 years now... Even I have tried quitting a few times but its just that the time I get with myself when smoking is the only motivation to smoke... I do not feel ecstacy as I used to feel during the initial days of smoking... However the habit of going out and spending time with myself.pondering over issues,thinking about plans to execute... that thought makes me go back again and again and smoke... Also I agree that its hard to control smoking with a beer in your hand...

But more or less I am also fed up with this habit of mine... So would it be fair if we both try to quit at the same time??

We will set a deadline to quit smoking... On that day,we both should have stopped smoking completely... Till that day,everyday we both will compete for the number of cigarettes we smoke... The lesser the better and winner too... No cheating since this is being done for both your and my good... Anytime you are free to get in touch through this medium or in any other means you wish... Please let me know if you are ready to try this out

If one can't make it, then two can try harder and break it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About aids [ 4 Answers ]

I did everything with my girl friend except oral sex .can we get aids?

Smoking cessation [ 8 Answers ]

Is anyone out there quitting smoking and having a rough time? I am into my 14th day and have slipped a couple times due to increased cravings. I am chewing the gum and wearing the patch which I know you aren't supposed to do both. Anyway, if there is anyone out there who can share the pain with...

How can you get aids? [ 2 Answers ]

I always thought you could only get aids from blood, dirty needles, having sex or if a mother has it and passes it to her unborn baby but my biology teacher is trying to tell us that you can get it from sweat, kissing (saliva). My health teacher from a few years a go said you couldn't get it from...

Do you know someone with HIV and AIDS [ 6 Answers ]

I have a long timed friend that had contacted the disease either through his fast acting, life of the party, and being just plain pretty and too many people wanted him in all the ways loose. I noticed women given him an eye because he could cook and draw and carries a nice package. Lately, I have...

View more questions Search