Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bromar1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Mtd Weed Whacker
    I have a MTD weed wacker that just won't start, it does on the first attempt and shuts off after about 5-10 seconds max. after that it won't start at all. I put the proper mixer ration of gas and two in one oil, and I have also changed the spark plug. Any suggestions, thanks!
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2006, 08:55 AM
    Proper mix of a 40:1 ratio (3.2 ounces) to one gallon of gas?

You have trash in the carb... take it off... get a rebuild kit with all the gaskets... soak it in carb cleaner and blow it out through every and all holes with carb cleaner and use the parts from the kit to rebuild it... pics along the way for reference help a lot.
    yokeman Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 08:44 AM
    Before taking the thing apart try pulling out the block of foam rubber that is used as an air filter. See if the thing will run. If it does, clean the filter.
    Yokeman
    dorinda47 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bromar1
    i have a MTD weed wacker that just wont start, it does on the first attempt and shuts off after about 5-10 seconds max. after that it wont start at all. I put the proper mixer ration of gas and two in one oil, and i have also changed the spark plug. Any suggestions, thanks!
    Try a simple tune up, most weed whackers have a filter and a air breather . They both are contained on the weed whacker by two small metal box fittings. Unscrew one at a time.
    ( 1.)one you should find a sponge inside ,you can clean this with warm soapy water ,rinse it very good until there's no soap left in sponge. "You only should need alittle drop of soap" Let it dry thoroughly.(Or you can uy a new sponge to put in) (2.)On the other one you should see a metal screen inside once its opened, if the screen is plugged up with carbon sometimes you can scrape off the carbon so that the screen is clean and able to let air pass through it. If its totally bad get a replacement screen, this screen allows air to pass for the engine to breath if its plugged and cover with carbon it sufficates the enigne right after starting or it won't start at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weed Eater [ 6 Answers ]

I have a WeedEater Featherlite Plus trimmer. I have had it for about three years. It has worked wonderfully well, until the last time I used it, and even then it ran. My problem is that the last time I cranked it, the rope did not retrieve, or get pulled back in to where it is supposed to be. ...

I think weed tore us apart.. [ 8 Answers ]

My ex is 19 and I'm 17 and we were together for what would have been a year on June 1st. We broke up a month ago today and it seems like all I want is for him to think of me too (not that I know if he does/doesn't). Our break-up was mutual because we were negatively affecting eachother. I was...

Need help whacking my weed [ 5 Answers ]

I have inherited a kawasaki kbl26a weed eater with the home I'm renting now and cannot figure out how to load the nylon. Got any leads for fixing my weeds?

Weed problems [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a manufactured house in a park and we have areas of stone beds that we try to keep weeded,is there any inexpensive liquid or granuals to help eliminate them? I have a layer of some kind of plastic under the stones.

Weed Eater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Weed Eater Featherlite. I bought one of those replacement heads for it. How do I get the old head completely off?

View more questions Search