Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdoggy Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 04:29 PM
    Weird hot water fluctuations. Not a lack of hot water
    I am a college student renting a house and have a weird problem with our shower. We have more then enough hot water but as I am taking a shower it will be warm/hot at about 2/3 of the way to hot. I like hot showers so I turn it up just a little bit more and its great... for about 2 min then the temp starts dropping to about warm. I can turn it up a bit more and it will get hot again, but temp will fall after about 30 seconds this time. I can keep on this cycle will I hit the end of the nob and it will be hot for 15 seconds then back to warm.

We have a brand new water heater installed by someone that looked like he knew what he was doing. The shower does put out more water then normal, so much so that we have to put the head between settings just to mitigate the pressure to more holes so its not as strong.

What is going on?!

Thanks for any help!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 06:51 PM
    Hi Cdoggy...

Did this happen BEFORE the new water heater was installed? If so, and even if not so ;)... I'm wondering how many gallons per minute (G.P.M.) your shower head is using?

Today, shower heads use 2.5 G.P.M... older shower heads can use much, much more. The first 2.5 G.P.M shower heads were not impressive. Today's 2.5 G.P.M. shower heads are great!

Talk to the landlord about switching out the shower head. This will not only make your shower hotter and more comfortable... but it will save the owner quite a bit of money every year if they do it to every apartment they own... :)

Let me know what you think...

MARK
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 07:20 PM

Mark, this sounds like maybe a bad dip tube done during installation, what do you think? I have seen more than one dip tube melted off by someone who seemed to know what they were doing, but didn't.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Hi Bob:

Dip tube came to mind also. If Cdoggy said new issue then I'm going with dip tube as well... ;) If old issue... thinking shower head.

Got to be one or the other... huh?

Have good night!

Mar 4, 2009, 11:33 AM
    Wow, thanks for the suggestions and sorry for the delay in responding. I was waiting for the subscription email before coming back to this and I just got it.

The shower head used to be pretty bad and eventually got clogged by crap that was rustled up with the new water heater. So as it was 'clogged' up we had enough hot water, but once cleaned out, mind you now it seems like there is a ton of water coming out of the shower head, it does this fluctuation temp thing.

Its weird, ill do more testing tomorrow by taking a shower (and the change happens) ill go out to the kitchen and see if there is hot water there. If there is then it's a problem with the shower, if not then it's the dip tube.

Is it easy to tell if a dip tube was done wrong?

Mar 4, 2009, 11:55 AM

You can't see the dip tube without disconnecting the cold fee and removing the dip tube under it. Was there soldering done non this cold feed tube?

Mar 4, 2009, 12:35 PM

Looks like a few new fittings were used on the cold line all excessively soldered together, but on the connection to the tank it is a screw on without any solder on it.

Mar 4, 2009, 01:40 PM

My guess is the last connection is screw in but the one an inch above it is a soldered connection. If the installer screwed the connector in and then did the solder joint that would be enough heat to melt the dip tube. Excessive solder also tells me a bit about the installers skill bank, not very high.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 04:39 PM
    Cheapest fix is to change out the shower head...

If that fails to fix this then you should have the plumber come back and remove the fittings from the cold water side of the water heater to check the dip tube.

Keep us in the loop... o.k?

Thanks...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lack of Hot Water [ 1 Answers ]

I have a boiler unit and the upstairs water does not stay hot very long. Is there something I need to prime so I will get hot water upstairs? Thank you very much.

Lack of hot water [ 10 Answers ]

In the last 2 weeks I have had a problem with a lack of hot water. You can't even finish taking a shower and you run out. I just ran some bath water and I didn't have the hot on all the way and I had the cold partially on and it didn't even fill the tub 3" with out getting cold. What do you...

Weird things going on with hot water heater and water temp [ 6 Answers ]

I have read the posts about the problems with knocking, mine does this as well. Here's what else I have noticed... All of a sudden my master bath shower does not get as hot as it used to. Some of the faucets still get as hot as before and furthermore the shower in main bathroom only comes out...

Lack of hot water [ 7 Answers ]

My central heating system is working perfectly but I have no hot water coming from my cylinder in hot press it is cold. All radiators are hot. What could be the problem? No hot water is coming from my hot water cylinder. All radiators are operating perfectly. What could be problem?

Lack of Hot Water [ 4 Answers ]

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I've been having. In March, I purchased an older home (built in the 40's). As a condition of purchase, I asked that the water heater be replaced, which was very old and completely shot. The former owners purchased a 50 gallon Kenmore PowerMiser. The...

View more questions Search