Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmysdaman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 02:03 PM
    How much is too much for a 15amp breaker
    Hello,
    I am finishing off my bonus room, I am also adding a wet bar.
    My question is... Shouldn't a 15amp breaker be OK to run a 52 in TV, dvd player,receiver,and surround sound, 6 recessed light, a fan and the mini frige. along with the occasional table lamp? I know that seems like a lot but It will not all be on at the same time either. I am mainly concerned that the mini frige might be too much. Thanks in advanve for the help JL
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 02:06 PM

Each of those fixture will tell you the amperage draw. Add all that up and tell us what you have. A mini frig doesn't tell us as much as you might think, older ones draw quite a bit.
    cdoggy Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 02:30 PM

It also depends on what lights and their power draw.

Is the wiring rated for 15 amps or just the breaker? If the wiring is good for 20 amps I would say bump up the breaker to 20.

What kind of TV, plasma, LCD?

Chances are the receiver will not use that much power when being used, dependent on what model I would rate it at about ~300 watts.

Dvd player, maybe 30 watts tops
    Receiver maybe 300 watts

Define fan.

Basically just look at everything and add up how many watts each device will use, then divide by 120 to get amps and go with it.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 03:47 PM
    What you have should be fine on that circuit. It is unlikely that everything will be on full blast for any noticeable amount of time. Even if it were it is doubtful that it will be 15 amps.

15 amps is 1800 watts.
    All numbers approx as doggy correctly gave:

TV - ~300w
    Receiver - ~250w
    DVD - ~50w
    Ceiling fan - 100w
    Fridge - ~400w
    Lights - ~390w

All this is only 1490 watts. Even if I am off by 20% that brings you right to 1800 watts.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 04:13 PM

I think I'm in agreement but still waiting to hear about that frig and what jimmy totals up for us.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 05:27 PM
    Unless the thing is super old I can't see it drawing much more than 3-4 amps.
    thejetzer Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 11:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    What you have should be fine on that circuit. It is unlikely that everything will be on full blast for any noticeable amount of time. Even if it were it is doubtful that it will be 15 amps.

15 amps is 1800 watts.
    All numbers approx as doggy correctly gave:

TV - ~300w
    Receiver - ~250w
    DVD - ~50w
    Ceiling fan - 100w
    Fridge - ~400w
    Lights - ~390w

All this is only 1490 watts. Even if I am off by 20% that brings you right to 1800 watts.
    He'll be fine with just one 15A circuit... if he plans on never vacuuming the place. If you're already doing minor construction for the room, might as well aim high.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15amp breaker loads [ 1 Answers ]

Can I run a 1750 watt appliance on a 15 amp breaker?

15Amp circuit breaker with Microwave - tripping [ 9 Answers ]

I have one outlet dedicated to a 15 AMP breaker in an older house( 35 years) that I have a 1000 watt microwave and a 80 watt water cooler plugged into but it keeps on tripping. I have replaced the breaker with a new one and it still trips about once a week when I start up the microwave. I am...

Furnace on a 15amp breaker [ 7 Answers ]

We purchased a house and have been going through the eletrical and cleaning up some of there "mess" OK lazy ness to make sure evreything is correct. We have the majority of it all cleaned up. However, we came across something that seemed odd. The Furnace (gas) is on a dedicated 15amp breaker. ...

15AMP Breaker used instead of 20AMP -ok? [ 4 Answers ]

We just had an electric gate installed that extends across our driveway. I noticed that the installer used a 15 amp breaker switch to connect to for power (the gate is the only device on this breaker). In looking at the manual last night the installation instructions call for a 20 AMP breaker (the...

Switching from 15AMP breaker to 20AMP [ 6 Answers ]

I am contemplating switching my 15AMP breaker into a 20AMP breaker because the lights flicker in my home office because my computer and printer eat up a lot of power. If I switch breakers, will this help my power problem? Or I am limited to the gauge of the wires in the wall? Thanks for the...

View more questions Search