Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsPhillips21 View Post
    Well, I am getting married next week so I would hope me and my fiance would be adopting together, and adoption is going to be a little tough right now because of my past [I messed up my credit] everything IS paid off, but it will remain on my credit history for 5 or so years. I was just looking for different routes to take. I'm not looking to do all of this NOW, but hopefully within the next couple years get situated.
    No one is trying to be critical; our apologies if it came off that way. Everyone here is extremely concerned for not just the baby that you'd like in your life, but also yourself.

Understanding or not, arnimal's advice was terrible. Browsing chat rooms is not safe nor is it logical. There have been numerous reports of people who got approved by adoption agencies but either had to wait or couldn't afford to adopt; they decided to "find" a surrogate mother on their own. They empty out their bank accounts buying anything and everything the surrogate could want or need; when it comes time to deliver, the surrogate takes off and the couple is left broke and empty-handed. They have no legal right to the child because biologically, it's not theirs.

Like you pointed out, give yourself a few years to get situated. You can rebuild your credit, show a steady rental history or even homeownership, a strong marriage... all of those will be beneficial in an adoption review. I wish you and your soon-to-be husband the best of luck :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2009, 01:23 PM

First, your credit situation will have minimal affect on your ability to adopt. If, according to you, you are now out of debt, that should be sufficient, even if your credit rating hsn't recovered. Adoption agencies and parents look more towards the future than the past.

Second, the reason that arnimal's answer was criticized so much was this part of it:
    Quote Originally Posted by arnimal7 View Post
    It's addoption without the huge fees and all of the legal documents.
    Even if you were to find a surrogate mother through an Internet chtroom (and I don't recommend that), you would still have to go through ll the legl documents. In fact surrogacy tends to be MORE expensive. In a surrogacy contract, you agree to pay all the birth mother's medical bills as well as a fee for the use of her womb.

We pride ourselves on the accuracy of our advice here and arnimal's advice was not good advice for you.

Your best bet is to start talking to adoption agencies now. It may tke several years for you to be approved and baby to be available. But you are young and have the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm 15 and trying to have a baby.I'm confused [ 12 Answers ]

Hello everyone out there reading this can you please help thank you so much I'm 15 and have been sexually active for 2 years now... It started with they guy I thought I loved and he dumped me when he find out I was pregnant then my mother and his mother forced me to abort and I have trouble since...

Confused about baby dancing dates [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got a smiley face on my OPK Saturday - 9/20. We baby danced on that date and last night. When should we baby dance again? Thanks

Just had a baby and confused about pregnancy again [ 3 Answers ]

I had a baby four months ago and haven't had my period yet (I breast fed for two months) I had sex a month ago and took three pregnancy tests (the last one was last week) They all turned out negative but I'm still nervous. Are these tests accurate even though I never started my period after giving...

My 17 year old daughter is very confused about her keeping the baby or not [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I Have A 17 Year Old Daughter Who Has Moved In With He Boyfriend And Now She Is Pregnant. Her Boyfriend Doesn't Want The Baby And Tells Her That If She Has The Baby He Is Going To Leave Her. He Wants For Her To Get An Abortion. She Doesn't Want To Get An Abortion. She Wants To Keep The Baby. But...

View more questions Search