Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cityslicker2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 11:22 AM
    Engagement Ring
    What law applies when one party lives in a state where the ring is a conditional gift and the other lives in a state where it is based on who calls it quits?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2009, 11:35 AM

What are the two States? You would have to look at case law.
    cityslicker2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Kentucky and Indiana...
    Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2009, 02:10 PM

I'm sure you know there are different decisions, varying opinions, pretty much all over the place. It appears that this would be a matter settled by a Judge following trial if it comes to that.

In some States the promise to marry binds the contract; in other States the marriage has to actually take place.

I would say the person who sues in whichever State will have a definite advantage in that State.

The majority of the cases I find seem to lean toward the "promise of marriage, no marriage, return the ring" idea, fault aside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling an engagement ring [ 3 Answers ]

I broke off my engagement to Bob. I offered to return the ring because it is worth $10,000. He said no and told me to keep it. We are on good terms but rarely talk to each other. I want to sell it because I need the money but feel bad about it. What do I do?

Return Engagement ring [ 4 Answers ]

In the state of Virginia... is an engagement ring to be returned upon the couple not getting married? Very simple question. Thank you,

Engagement Ring [ 5 Answers ]

I was curious if I can get it back. The thing is I live in NY and the girl I am Engaged to is in another country... what should I do and can I get the ring back? TT

What's the difference between a comitment ring and an engagement ring? [ 13 Answers ]

Can someone please help me here I was wondering what's the difference between a commitment ring and an engagement ring?

Old Engagement Ring [ 24 Answers ]

Should you give it back if you changed your mind or accept it because it was a gift?

View more questions Search