Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 11:06 AM
    My hair is breaking! Why?
    I have a strange problem-- my hair is breaking and I can't figure out why. My hair is breaking only on my left side. The weird thing is that it's not breaking on the top layer but rather the middle layer. So thankfully I can cover up the breakage. I hadn't even noticed it for this reason until a couple weeks ago my hairdresser asked me about it (because she assumed I sleep on that side).

This is where it gets weird: I don't sleep on my left side (I'm sure of this because I have problems with my left shoulder and it hurts if I sleep on it). I wash with a moisturizing shampoo and use a deep conditioner regularly. I sleep with a 100% Pure Silk scarf at night. I don't use a lot of heat. I see a professional regularly for chemical treatments/maintenance and I keep my hair trimmed. The rest of my hair is shiny and healthy except for this one broken patch (about the size of my palm). The area is broken to approximately 1/4"!

It's so odd to me because the breakage is confined to one spot. Does anyone have any ideas as to anything else that could be wrong? I've never had this problem before and let me clarify: it's not thinning, it's breaking.:(
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Mar 3, 2009, 01:43 PM

Hello!
    What do you mean you have 'chemical treatments'?
    Let me know! Because if you mean colouring or perming or getting it perm straightenend then maybe that is why your hair broke off.

I once got my hair done in college when I was a student, I had blonde slices put in random places. The next week I got a blow dry done and my stylist saw I had a patch of broken hair thanks to the girl incorrectly bleaching my hair. :0
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 04:15 PM

I meant relaxers which I have done professionally. I don't color my hair anymore. The last time was well over a year and since then I've had my hair cut short and all the highlights were cut out.
    Also, the hair is only breaking on one side of my head.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 06:13 AM

You can definitely over-relax hair to the point of breakage. I would suspect that.

Breaking on only one side of the head is unusual, but not impossible. Maybe the chemicals weren't fully dissolved when it was put on your head, and some got concentrated on the spot you're describing.

There are plenty of conditioners that claim to make hair stronger. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of scientific evidence that they work. However, there's definitely no harm in trying.
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    You can definitely over-relax hair to the point of breakage. I would suspect that.

Breaking on only one side of the head is unusual, but not impossible. Maybe the chemicals weren't fully dissolved when it was put on your head, and some got concentrated on the spot you're describing.

There are plenty of conditioners that claim to make hair stronger. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of scientific evidence that they work. However, there's definitely no harm in trying.
    Thanks Perito!
    As I mentioned, I only have chemical treatments done by a professional and let me add that I've been going to her for a while so I'm confident in her experience. When I was a teenager, I over-relaxed my hair once and it was obviously overprocessed! It was dry and brittle. My hair now isn't.

For some reason I think maybe I've done something unknowingly (as odd as it sounds). I think I take good care of my hair and try to keep my styling simple as to not have these problems. I'm at my wit's end!

I think the reason this is so frustrating is that the rest of my hair is shiny and healthy. I'm thinking about just cutting it all off and starting over. :(
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Mar 4, 2009, 01:01 PM

Yes, relaxers can damage the hair a lot.
    It looks like the breakage has happened because of uneven application of the product or overprocessing. When you apply a chemical treatment to the hair, it has to go on evenly, don't apply too much and work at a fast pace because once the chemical has been applied, it starts to process. So working at a faster pace and applying the product evenly ensures that all the hair gets the same amount of time to develop. What might have happened is one side of the hair has had more development time than the rest of the hair so that over proccessed it therefore that's why your hair is breaking.
    I could be wrong. But it it seems quite likely that it has been overprocessed.
    humble10 Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Mar 4, 2009, 01:06 PM
    It could be stress that you are experiencing. Are you on any medication?
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2009, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by humble10 View Post
    It could be stress that you are experiencing. Are you on any medication?
    Thanks but I'm not on any meds
    linksys2000 Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Mar 7, 2009, 09:18 PM

There are various reasons as to why hair break such as: lack of protein, over use of heat (blow dryers and curling iron) poor diet, etc. May I suggest taking vitamins and supplements for hair growth such as biotin. There are many options to use when regrowing your hair such as: using satin pillow cases, increase protein intake, wear styles that require minimum pulling of the hair and heat.

On average, hair typically grows at a rate of 1/2 inch per month. However, this number may vary based on genetics and DNA.

Try Ultra Nourish Hair Supplements.
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2009, 09:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by linksys2000 View Post
    There are various reasons as to why hair break such as: lack of protein, over use of heat (blow dryers and curling iron) poor diet, etc. May I suggest taking vitamins and supplements for hair growth such as biotin. There are many options to use when regrowing your hair such as: using satin pillow cases, increase protein intake, wear styles that require minimum pulling of the hair and heat.

On average, hair typically grows at a rate of 1/2 inch per month. However, this number may vary based on genetics and DNA.

Try Ultra Nourish Hair Supplements.

Thanks linksys! Maybe it's my diet; never thought that could be the problem. The rest of my hair is looks healthy but I'll try to get back to taking vitamins. Otherwise I keep my styling simple and don't use a lot of heat. My hair grows approx. an inch per month- yes really (my hairdresser is amazed at this) so I'm not worried that it won't grow back soon. I'm more worried that if I don't correct the problem it'd get worse.

So you mean increasing protein as in eating more meats and beans or is their a protein supplement? The supplement you suggested, is it a pill or a hair treatment?- never heard of it.
    linksys2000 Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Mar 7, 2009, 10:08 PM
    Wow! 1 inch per month is quite outstanding for hair growth. Correcting the problem is suitable for the first step (working from the inside, out.) Supplements will aid in growing the hair more efficiently. Biotin, a natural supplement (pill is best for absorption), works great with growing healthy hair and nails. Taken in high doses (10-15,000 mcg per day), it may suppress the appetite, thus enabling the user to loose a few extra pounds. (at least for me, it has.

Protein is normally found in foods such as: beef, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy products, nuts, seeds, and legumes like black beans and lentils. Try to Google both Biotin and protein for more detailed information. Hope this helps:)
    kimnj2002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Hi, I noticed your post on hairbreakage a year ago. I have the same problem as you have. I have always taken extremely good care of my hair. But my left side of my hair has broke off steadliy. The right side is much longer that the left. Please advise me on how you resolved your problem. I will visit the dermatalogist in 2 weeks.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 05:39 PM

Hi kim,

Actually it was just earlier this spring. I ended up just cutting my hair short because we (the stylists @ my salon and me) couldn't figure out what caused the breakage. It was very strange the way it happened so suddenly and was isolated to that certain area.

So I ended up cutting my hair very short. My hair grows very fast so it's actually grown back out. I went from a very short cut and I'm already sporting a bob again. It was the only way I could see having it grow back out evenly and healthy. I'm not having any problems with breakage now because my hair routine is and always has been very simple.
    kimnj2002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Hi, Nikosmom
    I'm really glad to know your hair has improved since your original posting last year. Your outcome will provide me support through this "strange hair" phase.
    Just last week, I was wearing an asymetrical cut that I never requested. LOL Recently, I had to trim my hair due to the thinness on the left side. One good thing has occurred from the shedding of my hair; I'm more focused on healthy food consumption. In the past, I would buy vitamins and never take them, now I take them faithfully with Noni Juice.
    By the way, do you currenlty use a relaxer?
    Leah Tuivai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 07:12 PM
    Hi my name is leah tuivai.. im 23 years old.. my hair is starting losing n' when its comb I lose more hair n' its breaking... what would I do?
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kimnj2002 View Post
    Hi, Nikosmom
    I'm really glad to know your hair has improved since your original posting last year. ...

By the way, do you currenlty use a relaxer?
    Hi kim, this wasn't last year, it was only a few months ago. I started over and things are much better now.

I do have my hair relaxed but as I mentioned, I only have it done by a professional. I don't color or blow dry my hair. I sit under a hooded dryer or let my hair air dry. I use a ceramic flat iron on the lowest setting. I'm really thinking it was a weird phase.

I cut my hair down to about 1 inch all over with long wispy bangs (similar to Rhianna's cut) at the beginning of May and right now I have a short bob (my hair goes to my jawline). I think cutting it was the best thing for me because I started over rather than trying to "save" the damaged hair.
    Kadehadaire Posts: 197, Reputation: 10

Oct 21, 2009, 05:11 AM

Diet is important.

But also, when you go to bed, cover the ends of your hair (not the roots) with natural coconut oil (can be bought from any health food shop I think), braid it if you can then wash it the following day.

Don't use shampoo on the ends of your hair, only use shampoo for your scalp and roots.

Never wash your hair balled up on top of your head. And never tie it back with elestic bands that have metal grips.

Condition to a huge extent, but only the ends, don't go near your roots (they have enough).

Hope this helps.
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadehadaire View Post
    Diet is important.

But also, when you go to bed, cover the ends of your hair (not the roots) with natural coconut oil (can be bought from any health food shop I think), braid it if you can then wash it the following day.

Don't use shampoo on the ends of your hair, only use shampoo for your scalp and roots.

Never wash your hair balled up on top of your head. And never tie it back with elestic bands that have metal grips.

Condition to a huge extent, but only the ends, don't go near your roots (they have enough).

Hope this helps.
    Personally, I don't agree with most of this but if it works for you- great. I do believe diet plays an important part though.

Please tell us how a person only washes their scalp? Also, your hair gets dirty too (styling products, pollution, perspiration, etc)

Slathering coconut oil on your hair just sounds plain gross and it will not repair damage.

For the people that have added to this question, I would suggest a trip to a professional for a trim first. Then see what he/she suggests based on the overall condition of your hair, hair type & length, as well as your normal haircare routine. Once they trim away the damaged portion, they should be able to suggest products that will work with your hair type/curl pattern while maintaining a healthy scalp.
    Kadehadaire Posts: 197, Reputation: 10

Oct 21, 2009, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    Personally, I don't agree with most of this but if it works for you- great. I do believe diet plays an important part though.

Please tell us how a person only washes their scalp?? Also, your hair gets dirty too (styling products, pollution, perspiration, etc)

Slathering coconut oil on your hair just sounds plain gross and it will not repair damage.

For the people that have added to this question, I would suggest a trip to a professional for a trim first. Then see what he/she suggests based on the overall condition of your hair, hair type & length, as well as your normal haircare routine. Once they trim away the damaged portion, they should be able to suggest products that will work with your hair type/curl pattern while maintaining a healthy scalp.

A person washes their scalp by applying shampoo to the hair at the roots and massaging/rubbing it in until it lathers.

Most shampoo is too abrasive for the ends of your hair, so unless you are using one without chemicals and surface cleaners (which will break the hair), do not wash the ends of your hair. (rubbing your hair with a towel is enough to damage it, in fact).

What you do is you drag the lather from the scalp portion through your hair and then rinse.

It might come as a surprise to learn that conditioners clean your hair of all hair products.

If you visit a number of websites on keeping long hair, they are full of similar advice. A person who maintains long, healthy hair would know these things. The knowledge can be applied to shorter hair too, of course.

As for smoothing natural oils into the hair being gross, tell that to the chinese who have done it for millennia and maintain very good hair on the whole. Coconut oil is white and feels like smoothing serum, only less oily. No, it won't repair damage, but it should do the following:

a. Stop the spread of the damage by coating the hair before it is washed out.
    b. Maintain healthy, shiny hair after the damage has been cut away.

I have to say I am surprised to find such a wonderful natural remedy being sneered at, because natural remedies are always more suitable than chemical-ridden ones. I certainly am surprised too, that it is thought of as "gross."

Ah well, I don't mind it being my secret, and I don't mind keeping it with a graceful smile when someone asks me how I keep my hair so beautiful and healthy.
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 01:02 PM

Kadehadaire disagrees: Smoothing natural oils onto the ends of your hair is not gross. And yes, it really helps.

Please read the site rules for disagreeing with posts. My post was not factually incorrect, I just didn't agree with you and I'm entitled to my opinion.

There is no definitive answer that says what works for you will work for me or the next person. If you read my post thoroughly, I mentioned that each person's hair is different and will respond differently to different maintenance methods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Hair Refuses to Grow and Keeps Breaking Off [ 8 Answers ]

I have been trying to grow my hair out for about 2 years and it literally doesn't grow. I only trim it every 3 months if even that and it's usually less than a 1/2 an inch. It's very dry and brittle and breaks off frequently. When I wear dark colors, you can see bits of hair on my clothes around...

Best Hair Moisturizer For Brittle Breaking Hair? [ 8 Answers ]

My brittle breaking hair may be caused by a health change. Each hair seems about half to one quarter skinnier than before. The hair as a whole does not hold moisture long and I should never put any kind of heat or chemicals on it. I use cream conditioners, but I never wash them out. They act...

My hair is falling out/breaking! [ 19 Answers ]

I need help!! My hair has been falling out/breaking noticeably for a little over a year now. Not just a little bit, but lots each day. I don't have bald spots, but it does seem like my hair is thinner. My hairdresser said that its more than normal. I also have dry, itchy scalp. I've tried...

Bleached Hair Breaking! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Could somebody please help me? I have naturally red hair which I have been bleaching for the past 5-6 years (not myself but by a hairdresser) however it has started to break. Now the reason I kept bleaching my hair was that for some reason no other regular blond color would take to my roots...

Solution For Dry Breaking Hair [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Lately I have noticed that my hair is dryer and every time I wash my hair and comb it, there is a lot of hair on the comb. This happens every time I brush or comb my hair in the morning and at night. I noticed my hair is uneven from breaking. I need a really good shampoo and conditioner,...

View more questions Search