Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnpaulh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 07:21 AM
    Obtain tax return information regarding depentants claimed.
    Hello,
    How would I go about obtaining information about how another person files their tax forms with regard to claiming dependents? I know that sounds vague, but it is relative to a divorce in 2004, and my belief that the ex wife has been claiming a son who does not meet the tests for dependency. I don't need specific tax information, only if she has been claiming the him as a dependent. If FOIA is a possibility, how would one word the request appropriately?

Thanks,
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 11:03 AM

You can't get access to another person's tax filings - this is not simething that private citizens can do. I think you would agree that's a good thing. If you feel that you are entitled to claim the child as your dependent, then by all means file that way. Include documentation to show why you are the one entitled to claim the child (either because you are the custodial parent, you have a court decree stating you are the one entitled to claim the child, or a previous signed form from your ex-wife about this). The IRS will investigate why both you and your ex are claiming the same child and will resolve the dispute. On the other hand, if you're interested in reporting a possible case of tax fraud to the IRS then see:
    How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was illegally claimed as a dependent on my mothers tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 20 year old male who has not lived with my mother since October 2007. I worked and supported myself the entire year of 2008. Somehow my mother was able to claim me as a dependent for her 2008 tax return as a dependent of hers. Because of this more than 90 percent of my tax return is being...

What type of information do landlords obtain for credit checks? [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering what types of information a landlord may obtain about a perspective tenant and how it used against you?

How to obtain copy of 2006 tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I need to get a copy of my 2006 tax return filed by HR Block

I need information on how to obtain a divorce [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know what can you do if you're trying to obtain a divorce and the Wife has left the country with no way of contacting her knowing divorce is wanted? Thanks

View more questions Search