Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 02:36 AM
    Diet Pills/Dieting/Exercise
    I know that its recommended to take diet pills only with proper diet and exercise. But what if one doesn't have the time for exercise. If I was on a good diet and took the pills would this be adequate?

What is a good daily caloric intake for good weight loss?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 05:44 AM

Hi chi, I copied this from a healthcare site because didn't know the ratios. But this sounds right:

There are approximately 3500 calories in a pound of stored body fat. So, if you create a 3500-calorie deficit through diet, exercise or a combination of both, you will lose one pound of body weight. (On average 75% of this is fat, 25% lean tissue) If you create a 7000 calorie deficit you will lose two pounds and so on. The calorie deficit can be achieved either by calorie-restriction alone, or by a combination of fewer calories in (diet) and more calories out (exercise). This combination of diet and exercise is best for lasting weight loss. Indeed, sustained weight loss is difficult or impossible without increased regular exercise.

I don't believe in diet pills and have always just watched my intake and portion size. I don't eat fast foods, I am a diabetic so no treats unless it is sugar free. My metabolism is slow so I walk a lot, possible l hour per day with the dog, every day. I have a small step machine at home which I use from time to time.

Once you put yourself on a regime, map out a plan, discipline yourself and go for it. Keep a food diary for each day of every thing you eat. Weigh yourself in the morning on the first day, put that down. If you do everything right you should lose 2 lbs. a week. A safe weight loss.

I started dieting in October and have lost 25 pounds. It just makes it easier to get in and out of that ol'dragonboat throughout the summer and anyway our season starts in April so wanted to be in shape. We do 500 meters in 4 minutes or less so that means a lot of heartbeats !

The plan can be done, chi, good luck and let me know how you do ! To make it easier, have a goal, promise yourself something in 3 months or so, a new dress, a weekend get away with your s/o, etc.

Good luck
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2009, 09:48 AM

Diet pills may give you a short term fix, but you really want to go with a way of life you can actually live with.

Incorporate some exercise in your daily routine by sneaking it in if you have to. Park your car farther away from work or stores and walk. Get up an extra half hour each morning and go for a walk, use an exercise video, work out with one of those exercise shows on TV, or just do your own thing. Dance around while you do housework. Use some weights, do some crunchs, jump rope, squats, etc. during commercials. You can find ways to get some exercise in if you try.

As Tickle said, watch portion sizes... they are really much smaller than most people eat. Choose healthy foods and drinks, limit the goodies to just once in awhile, eat a little throughout the day to avoid getting too hungry or tempted by junk food, and get moving in some way, shape, or form everyday.
    Vision Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 09:54 AM

I understand that diet and exercise would be a great way to lose weight, but I don't have time for exercise and a diet journal. I have two full time jobs and its difficult to do much else, I'm exhausted when I get home, and most of that time is devoted to 3-4 hours of sleep.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 01:23 PM

Can you do some sort of exercise at your jobs? Using stairs instead of elevators... parking at the farthest section of the parking lot... use your desk or a wall to do push-ups against... use a chair to use dips to work your triceps... stash some small free weights to use on breaks... do several squats now and then throughout the day. Do something fun on your days off... bike riding, kayaking, roller blading, a dance class, hiking, swimming, something indoors if the weather is rotten, anything.
    Keep healthy snacks near by during the day when you get hungry... carrots, raisins, nuts, half of a whole wheat bagel with a bit of peanut butter on it, hard boiled egg, apple, banana, grapes, etc. Easy foods to grab.
    Just some sort of increase in movement each day, and eating smartly will allow you to start to see a change.
    If you think the diet pills will give you a jump start and an incentive to keep at it, give it a try, but the key to getting in shape, and staying there, will be a lifestyle change. Start with small changes and build up as you can fit it in. Nothing else will do it for you long term, and diet pills long term certainly would not be a healthy option.
    NJExit9 Posts: 31, Reputation: -1

Mar 7, 2009, 08:59 PM

Ever since the ban of the miracle ingredient Ephredrine, all the weight loss pills substitute with caffeine and sugar. All diet pills nowadays are a COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY... I recommend taking Chromium not exceeding 500mg per day which should regulate your sugar levels to suppress the urge to binge. But once you get with the program, you don't need to take ANY supplements after a couple weeks. Read everything on the Nutrients package and document what you eat daily. Whole foods are much better than food that comes in a box. Reduce your sodium intake I'd say avoid soups and start looking for substitutes as you go. Start from Sugar to Sugar Free, then trade White for Grain, And trade Vegetables and Fruits for Simple Carbs.
    NJExit9 Posts: 31, Reputation: -1

Mar 7, 2009, 09:01 PM
    You aren't getting enough sleep and that's going to really impact progress. Plus obvious you don't make time to exercise neither. There are exercises you can do in the office, but that's not going to stimulate your metabolism much. Just stay away from the break and smoke areas LOL
    Vision Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 05:34 PM

Hi Doula, I usually sleep on breaks. There's no parking lots. I work in homes. I wish there was time to exercise, but there's simply not.
    Vision Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Thank you NJ, but its not that I don't MAKE time for exercise, it's that I don't HAVE time. And there are not exercises that I could do at work, because I have to work while there. And I do smoke, so staying away from the smoke area really won't help. And I doubt my smoking has anything to do with my weight. But thanks for the advice.
    pimp_mah_alpaka Posts: 103, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 04:49 AM

You know what's a GREAT diet that'll help you lose weight fast?

Tony Ferguson

It takes a lot of will power and strength but it is a fantastic way to lose a lot of weight fast WITHOUT exercise. I lost 10 kgz in about 1-2 months and I feel great.
    The best thing about it is because of the eating program, it can turn you off take-aways for good. You can eat it now and then, but only in small amounts. But once your off it all your body craves is healthy food like fruit and veg.

Another good thing is that you're a life time member. If you want to go off it for years and years you can. All you have to do is show them your member card and your back in the game.

Lose weight fast.. tony ferguson truly works<3
    Vision Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 10:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pimp_mah_alpaka View Post
    you know what's a GREAT diet that'll help you lose weight fast?

Tony Ferguson

It takes a lot of will power and strength but it is a fantastic way to lose a lot of weight fast WITHOUT exercise. I lost 10 kgz in about 1-2 months and I feel great.
    the best thing about it is because of the eating program, it can turn you off take-aways for good. you can eat it now and then, but only in small amounts. but once your off it all your body craves is healthy food like fruit and veg.

another good thing is that your a life time member. if you want to go off it for years and years you can. all you have to do is show them your member card and your back in the game.

lose weight fast .. tony ferguson truly works<3
    WHAT is the it?
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2009, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    WHAT is the it?
    It's a weight loss program where you have one of the shakes or soups at two meals during the day and then a light meal and light snacks the remainder of the day. It will definitely cause you to lose weight because of what you are eating. You can do the same sort of thing on your own, or you can purchase a program to follow. Some people do find having a program to follow is easier to stick with because they are being given the choices of what to eat and how much.

Unfortunately, if you don't maintain what you are eating, you will gain the weight back. So being a lifetime member is great, but it means they expect you to need the program again, and again... thus buying more of the products, because they know that unless you change your eating habits for life... eating smaller portions, eating healthier food choices, etc. the weight will come back on. Many people may not realize that this repeatedly going up and down with weight is quite unhealthy for them.

Programs can be great to get you started, the quick weight loss you are likely to achieve can be an inspiration and confidence builder to keep you going. Many people are after that quick fix and if they use it as a catalyst to make lasting changes in their lifestyle that's wonderful, but most people don't... and the diet companies/businesses know this. The weight comes back on and they go back on the diet or try whatever new one comes out on the market. This is why the dieting industry makes loads of money. The running joke is, if you want to make a million dollars, write a diet book!

Unless there is a true medical issue involved, there is only one answer for weight loss that will last you a lifetime and that is to simply eat less, eat healthier, and move more. Yes, it takes longer, yes there is not the dramatic weight loss right away, but it is healthier and lasting and something you can really live with.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2009, 05:24 AM
    Thank you NJ, but its not that I don't MAKE time for exercise, it's that I don't HAVE time.
    Nonsense. You have the same amount of time as everybody else. You're just using yours for other things than adequate exercise (or sleep) and healthy eating habits. How many minutes a day do you spend smoking cigarettes? How you use your time reflects your true priorities in life.

You've gotten a lot of real sound, practical advice here, (and in your other threads) but you seem to have an unlimited supply of "reasons" why none of these ideas will work for you. Until you move your health a few notches up your priority list, you will be unhealthy.
    spotted Posts: 59, Reputation: 0

Mar 22, 2009, 07:04 PM

Hey Chi
    I hope m little experience will help you a little. I hit 185 pounds at the age of 18 and hight of 5'2" my dress size was 14... I looked terrible and everybody was asking what have I done to myself... the answer was simple eating junks and sleeping tons!

I saw my Dr. and she prescribed me an appetite suppressant " phenteramine" but I have to tell you that not anybody reacts well to this medication. Thanks god it worked like a charm for me and never had any bad side effects.

I followed a simple diet that I made it up myself, even though I did not feel hungery at all I still ate 3 meals .My diet was based on Eggs,Yougurt, cereal and 2% milk, brown rice, grilled chicken breasts,friutes and vegetables, and slim fast shakes. I don't exceed 800 calories per day and that wasn't intentional.

I lost about 3o pounds within 3o days! And that motivated me more to keep on shedding these pounds. My skin looked a bit saggy so my mom rewarded me and bought me an elliptical cross machine and it helped me a lot in toning up my body and speeding up the process of my weight loss. I work out 3 times a week for 45 minutes. It was hard at the beginning but believe me when you see how many pounds you can lose per week you would never go back to your unhealthy life style.

Within 5 month I was able to go down to size 4 and weight 113 pounds!

Hope that help!
    praveena887 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2009, 07:09 PM
    C diet pills just supply your body those calories that are fat free & are needed to keep you hunger down. In any weight loss programme diet contributes only 25% whereas the max is to exercise i.e 75%. Even 3 times a week exercise is also sufficient. If you only diet & eat those pills you will loose little weight.. but once those pills are stopped then your weight will shoot up again. Because every body has a restore point & if you exercise simultaneoulsy then with its help your body's restore point will be minimised.
    Vision Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 11:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy View Post
    Nonsense. You have the same amount of time as everybody else. You're just using yours for other things than adequate exercise (or sleep) and healthy eating habits. How many minutes a day do you spend smoking cigarettes? How you use your time reflects your true priorities in life.

You've gotten a lot of real sound, practical advice here, (and in your other threads) but you seem to have an unlimited supply of "reasons" why none of these ideas will work for you. Until you move your health a few notches up your priority list, you will be unhealthy.
    I apologize for my bluntness in advance. But how in the world do you know that I have the same amount of free time that everyone else does? You don't. I'm sorry, I work two full time jobs. I have a little less time to exercise than others. I am taking advice as given. But I can't use every suggestion that I was given, because some of them simply will not work for me and my lifestyle. And no one ever said that I was unhealthy. I am barely in the overweight category. Not obese, and no health problems. I simply am not happy the weight that I am.

And to answer your question, I spend maybe 15-20 minutes a day smoking. That is on breaks from work, to relax. That's 3-4 cigarettes a day.
    Vision Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 11:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spotted View Post
    Hey Chi
    I hope m little experience will help you a little. I hit 185 pounds at the age of 18 and hight of 5'2" my dress size was 14... I looked terrible and everybody was asking what have I done to myself... the answer was simple eating junks and sleeping tons!

I saw my Dr. and she prescribed me an appetite suppressant " phenteramine" but i have to tell you that not anybody reacts well to this medication. Thanks god it worked like a charm for me and never had any bad side effects.

I followed a simple diet that I made it up myself, even though I did not feel hungery at all I still ate 3 meals .My diet was based on Eggs,Yougurt, cereal and 2% milk, brown rice, grilled chicken breasts,friutes and vegetables, and slim fast shakes. I don't exceed 800 calories per day and that wasn't intentional.

I lost about 3o pounds within 3o days! and that motivated me more to keep on shedding these pounds. My skin looked a bit saggy so my mom rewarded me and bought me an elliptical cross machine and it helped me a lot in toning up my body and speeding up the process of my weight loss. I work out 3 times a week for 45 minutes. It was hard at the begining but believe me when you see how many pounds you can lose per week you would never go back to your unhealthy life style.

Within 5 month I was able to go down to size 4 and weight 113 pounds!

Hope that help!
    Thank you for your suggestions, I've began a diet, and am taking in far fewer calories.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 11:26 PM
    If you do end up taking any diet pills, please make sure you drink plenty of fluids.

It honestly messed me up to the point I couldn't urinate or stool properly.

Take care CM and good luck on your journey to weight loss.

MRS.S
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 11:51 AM
    I know that its recommended to take diet pills only with proper diet and exercise. But what if one doesn't have the time for exercise. If I was on a good diet and took the pills would this be adequate?

What is a good daily caloric intake for good weight loss?
    Caloric intake and weight-loss is a misnomer. You can 500 calories a day that all come from processed sugar or 900 that come natural foods. You're body will process the natural ones faster and more efficiently. So, there's no right answer because calories are a broad unit of measure, it all depends on where the calories come from.

I read somewhere that you get more out of a glass of OJ than you would from a pill of pure vitamin C, you're liver just filters out the pill. I tend to think this is what would happen with diet pills, it'd be a small return for a pretty large investment.

In short, drink a lot of water and eat healthy even if you can't exercise. A good diet alone will help you lose weight, and it's cheaper than diet pills and there's virtually no risk involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diet and exercise [ 14 Answers ]

I weigh 60 kilos and I want to weigh at least 52 kilos by end of June... I'm also 5ft 4. Im not a person that can hold down a diet... But I am going to start to exercise - power walking - 3 times a week for 1 hr. And cut down to carbs and munchies... Is what I'm after achievable? ...

Diet Pills? [ 3 Answers ]

I work Monday-Friday from 9:00-5:30, when I get home at 6:00 I have to take care of my nine month old twin girls. I am a single mom, and am constantly tired and really do not have time to exercise. I am busy from about 6:00 a.m. till about 10:00 p.m. I would like to know a diet pill that...

No time to diet or exercise. [ 23 Answers ]

What are some suggestions for losing weight for someone that works 10-19 hours a day?

Adricted to diet pills and over the counter pills [ 5 Answers ]

:o I have for the past 4 years been adicted to dietr pills and over the counter pills I even take more then I need toi have tried to stop before but just couldn't stop. I want to stop and I want to get better but I don't know how I can stop with out help but I don't want to sign myself into a...

Exercise Vs Dieting plans which one start First [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Myself Jane morris here. I am suffering overweight .I have visited many weight loss related sites According to these sites it is an accepted fact that exercise is an important part of any successful weight loss plan. Every muscle you have can burn calories, so the more you work them, the...

View more questions Search