Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NinaDC Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 08:25 PM
    Wiring for Honeywell RTH7500 thermostat
    Hello,

I am trying to install a new Honeywell RTH7500 thermostat to replace my Robertshaw 9200 thermostat.

The Robertshaw 9200 had the following connections:

One yellow wire that was connected to W and Y (the wire is long and was threaded underneath the screws in the W and Y connections);
    One white wire that went to the O connection;
    One green wire that went to the G connection;
    One red wire that went to the Rc connection (that had a jumper to the Rh connection)

I wasn't sure what type of system I had but according to the Robertshaw 9200 installation manual, this was the connection for a heat pump system with cool active reversing valve.

The manual for the new Honeywell thermostat has a diagram for heat pumps as follows:

Yellow to Y
    White to O
    Green to G
    Red to R

Notice no W (whereas the Robertshaw had the yellow wire connected underneath Y and W). I programmed the thermostat according to the heat pump directions in the manual. But when I turn on Cool, I get warm air!

I called Honeywell and the technician had to put me on hold to ask someone who came back with "Y only goes to Y, you don't need to split the wire." :huh:

But I still get warm air. Any help or insight would be appreciated -- I am at a loss.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2009, 08:33 PM

Do you by chance have a zoned heat pump system.

One heat pump and 2 thermostats?

Mar 2, 2009, 08:42 PM
    No, it's not zoned as far as I can tell. I just have the one thermostat and a small condo.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2009, 08:59 PM

Put the white wire on "w" if you don't have a "o",
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2009, 09:20 PM

Ahh! A condo.

The Robertshaw stat has a separate O & B terminal. That is not normal: Manual here: http://www.icca.invensys.Tcom/manual...w/110-956b.pdf but that's not an issue with you.

The Honeywell Here: http://customer.honeywell.com/techli.../69-2104ES.pdf

On page 20, you set the state of the O/B terminal. You have a wire to O/B, not O. The parameter 190 should be 0 for and O terminal. 1 for a B terminal. If they are backwards then heat and cool are reversed.

Parameter 0170 should probably be set to 2.

If this is really a separate heat pump

There are some systems that connect W and Y together. Those systems usually have the heat/cool modes set at the furnace.

Mar 3, 2009, 08:32 PM
    Thanks keepitsimple! Turns out I had a loose wire, tightened it and then turned it on, making sure the settings on the screen were correct. Voilą! Cool air.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 08:52 PM
    Cool air? I can get waay tooo much of that by just opening a window...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell rth7500. Can't figure out wires [ 1 Answers ]

I did a stupid. I took off the old non-progamable stat and didn't mark my wires. Here are the wires that I have. Red, yellow, blue, green, white and Orange. I'm not sure where they go. I have a Bryant furnace, heat pump and Air cond. This is a new house less than 6months old. Any...

Wiring a honeywell RTH7500 Programmable thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my old thermostat a Trane BAYSTAT240A with a honeywell RTH7500 series one. There were eight wires on my old W- B- X2-Y-G-O-R-and a T. There is no spot to hook up the T wire although I got the unit to work. Right now the biggest problem is I can't read the display good because the...

Ruud Thermostat with honeywell RTH7500 [ 4 Answers ]

The old RUUD thermonstat wiring has G R B Y W2 X The honeywell Programmable has the following wiring. C AUX G E Y L

Rewiring from Weathertron Thermostat to Honeywell Thermostat RTH7500 [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to replace our current Weathertron THermostat with a Honeywell. We have a heat pump with auxiliary heat and central airconditioning. All the wires matched except the Weathertron had a "T" wire and there is no corresponding connectiion that has a "T" on the Honeywell. I have the "B"...

Replacing Honeywell T8411R with Honeywell RTH7500 - wiring problems [ 1 Answers ]

I need help getting my new, programmable thermostat to work. I currently have a dual-stage Heat Pump and A/C unit that works fine. The current thermostat is the Honeywell T8411R. I don't know the number for the subbase, but it's the one that came with the thermostat. The current (operational)...

View more questions Search