Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thehaggardcat Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 04:56 PM
    Computer cant get on internet
    It worked fine about an hour ago but I moved it and got it all set up and now the internet won't work:mad: . I put the internet wire into this computer and turned off the wireless network and it worked on this computer:confused: . Any thoughts:confused:
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 24, 2006, 07:54 AM
    We'll need some more information please. Can you describe your setup and why and where you moved the computer?

Aug 24, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Its running windows 2000 with linksys hub. I moved it to the other room and moved the modem and hub with it I have the modem and hum hooked up right but I'm using this computer wirelessly and I'm having no problems on this one. So I'm thinking something is loose inside the computer but I don't know what it could be:(

Aug 24, 2006, 08:17 AM
    Do you have more than one network socket in the back of the computer. If so one could be disabled, try the other one!

Do you have a fixed IP address on the 2000 machine? Are you using the same IP address for the laptop? Both machines need different ip addresses (last number only) but the same subnet mask and default gateway settings.

Aug 24, 2006, 08:22 AM
    There is only one socket in the back. Dose only the ip address have to be different?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 24, 2006, 09:37 AM
    More info please. I assume you have cable or DSL. So you have a wire going into a broadband modem and then into a wireless router, it's that correct? You have another PC that connects to the Internet wirelessly and that's working, correct? The PC you moved is wired into the router, correct?

So the wire from the moved PC, where does that go and how does it connect to the router? What type of router?

Aug 24, 2006, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thehaggardcat
    there is only one socket in the back. dose only the ip address have to be different?
    Have you set your IP addresses manually? If you are getting an automatic IP address from the router this will not be a problem. If you set them manually they all have to be different.

For Example:

Router = 192.168.0.1

PC1 = 192.168.0.2

Laptop1 = 192.168.0.3

this setup is fine, both the PC and the laptop will have a gateway of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

if both the PC and laptop were using 192.168.0.2 for the connection then one would not connect (or possibly both) as there is a conflict.

I hope this helps to clarify the IP settings. Please let me know if this relates to your situation.

Aug 24, 2006, 09:58 AM
    They are set to automatically get the ip

Aug 24, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    More info please. I assume you have cable or DSL. So you have a wire going into a broadband modem and then into a wireless router, its that correct? You have another PC that connects to the Internet wirelessly and that's working, correct? The PC you moved is wired into the router, correct?

So the wire from the moved PC, where does that go and how does it connect to the router? What type of router?
    I have dsl
    The PC conects to a port in my wireless linksys router
    My xbox 360 also connects to another port on the router and it works fine

Aug 24, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Ok so the moved PC is patched directly into a port on the router? Is the port ligths showing activity? Is there an activity lite on the network adapter on the PC? Does the PC pick up an IP? Can you ping the router, can you ping a website (like this one)?

Aug 24, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Ativity lights are on
    I don't know how to make it ping a web site

Aug 24, 2006, 10:21 AM
    From a command prompt type:

Ping www.askmehelpdesk.com

Aug 24, 2006, 10:26 AM
    That computer isn't leting me bring up a command promt

Aug 24, 2006, 10:58 AM
    What are you doing to get to one? What happens when you try? What version of Windows? You really have to try giving us more info when responding.

Aug 24, 2006, 11:06 AM
    To get a command promt I'm clicking run and typing in command and it pops up but then it give me some lame error and closes
    I'm running windows 2000 professional
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2006, 11:21 AM
    How about stepping back for a moment. Skip using the wireless router and plug directly into your DSL modem THEN try to make a connection. That should be your first troubleshooting step.

Aug 24, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    How about stepping back for a moment. Skip using the wireless router and plug directly into your DSL modem THEN try to make a connection. That should be your first troubleshooting step.
    That doesn't work the light on the eth card doesn't even light up:(
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2006, 11:49 AM
    Does that card show up in Device Manager?

Aug 24, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Yes it dose
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2006, 12:28 PM
    Try another ethernet cable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet ? [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine sign on to blackplant.com but can no longer get into their home page from their cpu but I can get in to their home pg from my cpu is their a way to solve this problem if so how?

I can't open 'Internet Explorer', 'My Computer' or 'My Folders' [ 2 Answers ]

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 8:28:39 PM, on 6/6/2006 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: D:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe D:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe D:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe...

LAN to LAN via Internet... [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, First hope that I'm not causing heaache for you... If not please continue... I'm building up another Domain(no forests and no trees), that domain will be in another location. So I'll have two local area networks, where each of them is in a totally different and distant...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

View more questions Search