Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    camycakes Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Low water pressure to entire house
    My house was built in 86, I have lived here since 2001 and have had awesome water pressure throughout the house until now. On Saturday I noticed that water pressure was not as strong as it usually is. By end of day today, I cannot run my dishwasher or washer machine and very little water comes out of every single faucet. I also cannot flush any of the toilets in my house. I do not think it has anything to do with my boiler. I have a bell shaped object attached to some piping which I assume is my pressure regulator. I have no idea what to do regarding this as I have a household of six and definitely need some good water pressure. Any suggestions would be helpful. Please let me know if you need more info from me.

Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Hi Camy...

Does that bell-shaped valve look anything like my pictures below..

These are pressure reducing valves. They are used when incoming water pressure exceeds 80 P.S.I.

It is possible that the STRAINER (present in both pictures, but only pointed to in 1st pic.) is clogged... or it may simply be time to replace the unit.

Let me know if I am headed in the right direction... O.K.

MARK
    Attached Images

Mar 2, 2009, 07:48 PM

No, it doesn't look anything like that. I went over to the object and it says water softener on it. Oops, my bad. I am plumbing illiterate so you will have to forgive me.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 07:53 PM
    Water softener could also be clogged...

Any chance there is a bypass around the softener? Here, somewhere near the water-softener there should be a couple valves that direct flow... in this case, one valve would be open (going to softener) and the other closed (the bypass).

You would close the one going to the wate rsoftener and open the bypass valve to test if the water softener is clogged...

Let me know what you find... ;)

MARK

Mar 2, 2009, 08:03 PM

I will have to check that in morning. On a side note, I just noticed that all three toilets in my house have a strange drumming sound coming from behind the wall where they sit. I have never heard this sound before.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 08:10 PM

Mark gave you a great place to start. There may also be a built in bypass on the softner.

The pic above shows the red knob(says push to by-pass.) Start here and let us know if this solves the problem. If not we will take the next step. Granted, your softener doesn't look like this, but the bypass may look something like this.
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by camycakes View Post
    I will have to check that in morning. On a side note, I just noticed that all three toilets in my house have a strange drumming sound coming from behind the wall where they sit. I have never heard this sound before.
    Lets get the pressure problem solved first. Most likely it is related.

Mar 3, 2009, 05:42 AM

OK, I have checked and no bypass valve. Now what?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 06:07 AM
    Camy...

Are there any valves near this water softener that look like the valves below? There should be... if you chase the in pipe and the out pipe back there should be shutoffs...

Let me know...
    Attached Images

Mar 3, 2009, 06:12 AM

I just called my town water company. They are coming out right now as they think I have an outside leak. I will keep all of you updated.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 06:12 AM
    OK... good luck!

Mar 3, 2009, 07:19 AM

Unfortunately the problem is an expensive one to fix. I have a leak somewhere between the shutoff on the street to my house. I have to have a septic company come in, find and fix the leak. HOLY CRAP! Thanks for all your help guys. It is truly appreciated.
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 07:00 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hope it all goes smoothly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure - entire house [ 2 Answers ]

I've read many of the other posts, and I'm somewhat re-assured that I'm not the only one having problems with hot water pressure. For confirmation, here's my problem: I have a standard gas hot water heater in my basement; throughout the entire house my hot water pressure has recently dropped...

Very Low Hot Water Pressure in entire house [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Please Help!! I have very very low hot water pressure in my whole house. I have flushed out my hot water heater and it came gushing out clear from the bottom of my hot water heater. I had a friend’s Dad come over and he tried something things to rule out possibilities. He took the...

No hot water pressure in the entire house [ 2 Answers ]

I have no hot water pressure in the entire house... all sinks tubs and showers... We have city water so there is no pump involved. We have a 40gal tank, the top pipes are appropriately cold and hot to the touch. Upon turning on the hot water faucet just a trickle comes out then stops... ...

No hot water pressure in entire house [ 1 Answers ]

We lost hot water pressure in our entire home a few weeks ago. Cold water is full pressure, just hot is not. We can barely even run a shower. The entire house has no hot water pressure. We need to try something. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Low hot water pressure entire house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone. We have 3 yr old house/ boiler and have noticed recently an overall drop in our hot water pressure. We have a thermo dynamics oil fed boiler(no hot water tank). Could our heating coil be getting "crudded up" w/ mineral deposits like a hot water heater? How do we test or...

View more questions Search