Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skyus1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Lived in NJ for 7 months, lived in PA for 5 months - What taxes should I file?
    Hello,
    I've been having some issues with this.
    In 2008 I lived in Jersey for 7 months, lived in PA for the other 5 months and have ALWAYS worked in Jersey.

What forms should I file?

I filed PA already and NJ Resident for those 7 months.

Do I have to do a NJNR for the other 5 months?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 02:48 PM

For NJ you have to file both NJ-1040 (covering the 7 months when you were a resident of NJ) and NJ-1040NR (covering the other 5 months when you worked in NJ but lived in PA). Then complete the PA 40 as a part-year resident, covering your income for the 5 months you were a resident of PA, and include Schedule G to document the taxes you paid to NJ while living in PA - this way you avoid being taxed twice on your income.

Mar 2, 2009, 04:52 PM

I have to do a NJNR even if NO tax was withheld during the 5 months I lived in PA?
    Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by skyus1 View Post
    I have to do a NJNR even if NO tax was witheld during the 5 months I lived in PA?
    Yes, because you owe NJ tax on your wages earnd in NJ.

Mar 3, 2009, 08:34 AM

But wouldn't that be covered when I filled out the PA tax?
    Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 08:45 AM
    But wouldn't that be covered when I filled out the PA tax?
    NO! NJ wants to be paid tax on the earnings you made in NJ. You will find that the bulk of all your state tax payments will go to NJ, with perhaps a small amount (if any) to PA.

By the way - if you are currently having only PA tax withheld from your pay check you should get that changd ASAP - otherwise you will end up owing a big tax payment to NJ for 2009, and possibly additional interest charges for underpayment to NJ during the year.

Mar 3, 2009, 08:49 AM

Thank you, it's just that I am very confused with all these taxes.
    I already filled out NJ Resident tax annd they are actually giving me money back and I paid a small amount of tax to PA. Now I do not know what to do next because when filing in the NJNR it says that I owe too much and that doesn't sound right. I am not sure what forms to use. But thank you!
    I currenlty only have PA state taxes withheld but they also take out NJ-WK and NJ-SU.

Mar 3, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Moving forward - like for 2009, do I have to complete a NJNR as well for the entire year?
    Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 09:19 AM
    Moving forward - like for 2009, do I have to complete a NJNR as well for the entire year?
    Yes. For 2009 you will file NJ-1040NR and then PA 40, including schedule G.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lived in 3 States, how do I file taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, During June 2008 I started graduate school. From Jan-May 2008 I lived and worked in Texas. In mid-May I moved to Massachusetts to start my program; I lived there until mid August and did not work. In September I moved to California to do an internship for the graduate program I am...

Grandson has lived with me 9 months. [ 3 Answers ]

I live in FL. My 3 yr. old grandson has lived with me for 9 months now. My daughter asked me to take care of him at first for financial reasons. She (single) could not support him. His father has never contributed and visited seldom (one every few months) and moved to California 4 months ago with...

Lived in PA 9 months work in DE full year 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Dee here, looking for help. Thanks I Lived in PA for 9 months out of 2007 and worked in DE for the full year. Then I moved to DE. I received 2 w2 forms one for PA and one for DE, but the taxes were taken out of DE but none were taken our of PA. Were taxes supposed to come out for...

Lived in NJ for 6 months and worked in NYC and then in PA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I lived in NJ (no income in NJ) from Jan 2006 to June 2006 and worked in NYC during this period. I then moved to PA for the rest of the year. The year prior (in 2005) I lived in NJ and worked in NYC the entire year and I did not have to pay anything to NJ. But this year in 2006 when I do...

Lived in Florida and moved to va do I file twice? [ 7 Answers ]

I lived in Florida up until August of 2005 then moved to Virginia. I am trying to do my taxes online through H&R block and not getting any answers. Do I need to file the 2 states separate? Or can I do it all together? I really don't want to have to have a tax preparer do it and pay the $ when I...

View more questions Search