Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigrags Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Airport security
    I have not traveled by plane since 2001, and I appreciate all the extra precautions now being taken to board an airplane. My question is, what do they ask you for as far as identity etc. and what is allowed on a plane, such as my cell phone, my Tom-Tom GPS unit to use when I rent a car at my destination, also, what about prescription drugs in my bags(I have advanced osteoarthritis and use Vicodin prescribed by my Doctor)
    Thank you all very much for any help to this newbee
    bigrags
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 02:11 PM

Since 2001 the major changes in airport security are:

Any liquids that are in containers > 3 ounces and/or that can't fit in a 1 quart size plastic bag must not be in your carry-on bag, but must be checked. So for example large bottles of shampoo, hair gel etc must be checked.

Be prepared to remove your shoes and jacket or overcoat to go throug the X-ray machine. It's easiest to wear slip-on shoes rather than lace-up shoes or boots to facilitate this.

Your prescription drugs are fine - but again put the pill bottles into a clear plastic bag.

Other things that haven't changed:
    You need a government issued ID (driver's license or passport works best). You can take 1 carry on bag that is small enough to fit under the seat in front of you, plus a personal item (purse or briefcase). You can take your electronics on board (in your carry-on) no problem, but you can't use them while in flight. If you have a laptop or video camera you must remove it from your carry-on bag before it goes through the X-ray machine.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 10:26 AM

Just a side note here, many airlines are charging for a checked bagged. Also the weight limit on basic check is 50lbs or under. You pay more if over 50lbs. I fly every year a couple of times. I also check bags with tools. The limit there seems to be 100lbs and under. That gets a bit salty. My trip 2 weeks ago was $72.00 for 95 lbs.

Don't know if this applies at all for you but just a bit of FYI.

Always call the carrier to double check.

As far as what you can carry on check with TSA before you get there. I got screwed by them this last trip. Another story. Flagged a concrete saw.

TSA supersedes the carrier so they are who you need to check with. PS. No lighters on carry ons.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 10:40 AM

The TSA website has lots of information
    TSA: ID Requirements for Airport Checkpoints

TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel

TSA: Prohibited Items

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Design an airport [ 1 Answers ]

can anyone help to design an airport with the runways? I don't have any idea how to start it.. thanks in advance. If possible, can you include a diagram. Thank you thank you =D

Arm Grabbing Security Guards Beijing Airport [ 5 Answers ]

Is it an acceptable custom for security guards to silently without any explanation grab people by the arm and move them to where they are supposed to be standing in China? Or is this just a Beijing airport security guard thing?

Nashville airport [ 2 Answers ]

Ohkay.. so I had a dream where I was going to the nashville airpport in a chevy avalanche(which I have) but I came to this lake that I had to drive through. and idid! I just drove through it like there was not problem.. what does that mean? :confused:

Airport mishap [ 10 Answers ]

I was taking an airline when the plane was delayed. After it arrived and we boarded, the stewardesses gave their safety speech, the plane sat along time on the tar mat and then we were that the airplane had mechanical problems and would have to be repaired. Another plane was brought in and...

View more questions Search