Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mishellina Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Moving the kitchen sink
    Hi everyone,

I have a semi circle shaped kitchen. The length is rectangular but there is a part of the wall that continues from a doorway in that semi circle where the sink and dishwasher is housed. I also have a slab house built in 2000. I would like to remodel the kitchen and take down that semi circle area to open it up. Then have an island in the middle with the sink and dishwasher. The other side would have a bar top so you could have some high chairs. I have heard moving the sink can be costly but for me I only want to put it over a couple of feet. I'm wondering if it is possible and a rough estimate for the cost? Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 2, 2009, 05:45 PM
    You were doing just dandy until,
    Then have an island in the middle with the sink and dishwasher.
    the phase " island sink" came up. Now we need more information. Is the sink against a wall at the present time or is it away from the wall line? Am I correct in that ypu propose to move the sink and DW away from the wall out in the middle of the floor so you can completely walk around it? Back to you. Tom

Mar 4, 2009, 11:21 AM
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for getting back to me! Yes, you are correct about the move :). Forgive my drawing but hopefully a visual will help as well. If you can't open it , let me know. I appreciate you taking the time to answer this.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Scan001.pdf (25.4 KB, 167 views)
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 5, 2009, 07:52 AM
    If you remove the counters and isolate the sink and DW will any drainage pipes be exposed? Back to myou, Tom

Mar 5, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Under the sink is just the usual drain pipes that go into the back wall of that extended wall. Not sure about the dishwasher. We recently had a new one installed and I'm assuming the pipes are behind it but can't tell you if it includes the drainage pipes.:( Sorry. I was hoping to get blueprints from the town but they no longer have them. I have contacted the builder ( Pulte) but did not follow up with the local office ( I'm in the Raleigh, NC area ) yet.

I wanted to add that I did notice a pipe labeled for the drain under the sink. Hope that helps.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 9, 2009, 05:15 PM
    Not what I asked. If you cut out the part of the counter that you want to will there be any pipes, (water or drainage) exposed? Back to you, Tom

Mar 10, 2009, 04:43 AM

Ahhh, gotcha sorry for the confusion. Unfornately, I'm not sure. You can see the pipes for the sink but not sure if they travel back to the wall or under the slab.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 10, 2009, 06:29 AM
    This is a important question. If,when you remove the counter, and you have pipes in that counter you will be taking up the slab to install a island sink drain and vent,( see image). If the pipes go down into the slab this will save you a lot of labor. Let me know when you find out. Regards, Tom

Mar 10, 2009, 08:21 AM
    Under my sink it looks more like the 2nd picture. With the vent circled in the middle of the pipe. Does that indicate that the pipes run into the slab? Thanks!
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 10, 2009, 11:08 AM
    From the trap do the pipes go gown into the slab or into the wall? Tom

Mar 12, 2009, 09:51 AM
    The pipes go into the wall :( which I would assume means I would need to rip up that area of the floor so they continue via the slab to the island sink, correct? If so, it would be about 5ft from that wall to where the island would start. Would you have a ballpark figure as to what that would cost to change? Thanks again for all your posts!
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 13, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
    The pipes go into the wall :( which I would assume means I would need to rip up that area of the floor so they continue via the slab to the island sink, correct? If so, it would be about 5ft from that wall to where the island would start. Would you have a ballpark figure as to what that would cost to change? Thanks again for all your posts!
    Yes you will have to open up the floor. However, I can make the job a little easier by elimating the return vent and installing a AAV in its place,(see image) Regards, Tom

Mar 13, 2009, 12:46 PM

Thank you so much Tom for taking the time to answer all my posts! It will help a lot when it comes time to renovate the kitchen :)
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 13, 2009, 12:54 PM
    Ask away! That's what we're here for. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving kitchen sink cut up the slab floor cani pour concrete on top [ 7 Answers ]

I am moving my kitchen sink from one side of the kitchen to the other I located the 3" discharge line which is about 5' from my new sink. I have cut the concrete and i am about put a 3 x 3 x 2 tee and then run my 2" line along and up under the sink to the p trap with a 90. ( I hope this is correct)...

Relocating Sink Drain/Vent to Dedicated Stack Serving Kitchen Sink & Dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

I am relocating an upstairs vanity sink from one wall to another (also going from single to double bowl). Rather than relocate the drain and vent pipe, I am hoping that I can tie into a 1-1/2" copper vent pipe that is located right behind the vanities intended location. The copper vent pipe is from...

Moving waste pipe from kitchen sink [ 4 Answers ]

:rolleyes: I recently had a conservatory build but the builders did not move the kitchen sink/washing machine waste pipe. I now have a radiator cover covering what was the external pipe and drain. Can you tell me what I have to do to have this moved. I did think of putting new pipes along the...

Fog horn noise when using taps in bathroom sink and kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

There has developed, in the last week, a "fog horn" sound when we turn on the hot or cold taps in the bathroom or kitchen. It does not occur when we use the washer or dishwasher. Could anyone give some advise on what could be the cause of this?

Moving kitchen sink questions? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey guys, Im a DIYer and I'm remodeling my kitchen. The current sink is on an inner wall that has the bathroom on the other side of it, and the main drain runs right up through that wall. My intentions are to move the sink from that area about 12 feet to the other side of the kitchen. My questions...

View more questions Search