Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Mar 2, 2009, 08:36 AM
    An Historical Community
    An Historical Community
    I was watching TV last night, when on the coffee table I noticed one of my daughters paperback books regarding Colonial Williamsburg.

Now I'm no english wiz, in fact, I almost flunked my senior year on account of english, but I noticed that "An Historical Community" just didn't seem to roll of my tongue like most other phrases do.

Shouldn't it be "A Historical Community"?

I always thought you don't use an "an" unless the next word starts with a vowel.

A paper cutter
    A computer
    A Type writer
    A Record Player

An apple
    An everlasting project
    An interesting question
    An old man
    An unbrella
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2009, 09:13 AM

I'm like you. "An" sounds weird before a word beginning with H... however it has become "the norm" to use "an" rather than "a" before the word History, historical, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Historical romance [ 3 Answers ]

This book is about a very beautiful woman who was been pressurized by her father to get married, she arranged to marry a man who was in prison and was on death row or something and arranged for him to marry her so that she could show her father the marriage certificate and give him reasons like he...

Biographical and historical novel [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not talking about biography here. What are the rules for biographical and historical novels? Using real people's names (with permission) along side of fictitious names.

Historical events [ 3 Answers ]

What Are Some Historical Figures And Events Of The Islam Religion?

Historical fifures [ 1 Answers ]

I need a list of historical figures associated with buddhism and events that play an important role in this religion

Historical figures [ 1 Answers ]

What in the Historical Figures and events for this religion Buddhism?

View more questions Search