Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CCamp Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 07:24 AM
    Toilet makes a loud BANG after being flushed
    Hello - I think I have water hammer but I an unclear as to how to fix it! I live in a 16 year old house, and every time I flush one of the toilets upstairs it flushes fine but when finished filling, it makes a very loud bang! I don't want any problems with pipes, so I am wondering how to fix this?
    If someone could give me detailed instructions that would help me, or advice as to how the problem should be fixed, I'd be more than grateful! I am so afraid my pipes will pull away from each other? Can this happen?

Thank you very much -

Also, does anyone know how much something like that might cost a plumber to repair?
    I figure if I cannot do it, I have to find someone who will -

Thanks -
    C.
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Mar 2, 2009, 07:33 AM
    To check and fix a water hammer, you need to get air back into the pipe extensions that are used to contain the air. Over time, that air eventually bubbles out slowly into the water. Turn off the water to the house and open every faucet to allow all the water to drain out of the system. Turn the water back on and then shut each faucet. Air will once again be trapped in the hammer arrestors so you won't have the banging.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2009, 07:35 AM

Here are some sites that explain it.

HowStuffWorks "How To Stop Water Hammer"

http://homerepair.about.com/b/2007/1...ter-hammer.htm

Basically, if you have an air chamber somewhere in your house, you need to drain it, make sure it's not plugged up, and then pressurize it again.

Air in the air chamber can dissolve in the water and eventually you don't have an air cushion any more. The air cushion is designed to absorb the shock of the water hammer (shock wave that occurs when a valve is closed suddenly). Reinstating the air cushion will usually solve the problem -- unless you have other problems such as a plugged pipe.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2009, 09:28 AM

Normally toilets makes noise for two reasons loose washer at end of the stem inside the angle valve or the seal in the fill valve.

The next time the noise starts back off the angle stop located under the tank counterclockwise until the noise stops, if stop change the washer on stem.

If the noise doesn’t stop see the images below and tell us which fill valve you see inside the water tank, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Mar 2, 2009, 09:36 AM
    This is for afaroo: I have the first type of valve - I recently had new "insides" put into all 3 of my toilets-
    Hey - whatever you could suggest is worth a try -
    I appreciate any advice - so thank you -

Thanks for all other suggestions!
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2009, 09:57 AM

Lets try the angle valve first, next time when the sound starts during the tank filling open the angle valve under the tank turn it counter clock wise if there is a loose washer in the angle valve the sound may stop and you would need to replace the stem washer.

If the above is not the case then do the following.

Close the angle valve under the tank, press down the fill valve top cap and turn it counter clockwise remove the fill valve cap cover, inspect the seal for wear or cracks. If bad replace it Replacing a bad seal is cheap and easy, if you decide to hunt for a seal, remove it and take it to the store to find a match.
    Before installing the seal you need to flush the fill valve, Cover the valve with your hand. Turn on the water (cautiously, so you don’t get a cold shower!) and let it flush out the valve for a few seconds, after flushing install the seal; see the images below for info.

Check the water level should be 1” below the top of the over flow tube when the tank is filled and the fill shut down, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Mar 2, 2009, 10:38 AM
    O.K. Thanks for the help! It was the angle valve - I really appreciate you helping out this novice!
    C.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2009, 11:08 AM

I am glad you got it fixed but you may need to replace or turn over the washer at the end of the stem valve inside the angle valve, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud fog horn noise when toilet flushed [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem when I flush my upstairs toilet. It sounds like a fog horn. Sometimes the noise is relieved if I turn the cold water tap on. It's driving me crazy and I can even hear it in the garden when someone flushes it! Please help! No one dare flush in the night.

Mobile home gas furnace makes loud bang before kicking on [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older mobile home with a Coleman gas furnace. It has recently started making a single, loud bang before it starts blowing air. Sounds kind of like a car door slamming. Tried cleaning it and it has a new filter, which made the banging a little less frequent, but now it's back to doing it...

Loud bang in the basement after flushing the toilet [ 7 Answers ]

After I flush the toilet and the water went down the drain, a few moments later I hear a loud banging noise from the basement. I did some reading and it is suggested that I may have a water hammer. However the water hammer is normally associated with a closing valve which is not the case here. The...

Toilet makes screeching noise while being flushed [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a new apartment and the bathroom is brand new. I noticed a screeching noise(like fingernails on a blackboard, ouch!) that last for about 30 seconds when the toilet is flushed and was wondering if this can be fixed. Thank you.

View more questions Search