Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dccash Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 07:00 AM
    Adult Son going through divorce & won't talk to family
    My 31 year old son is going through a divorce. After just 2.5 years of marriage, his wife decided they weren't on the same page. He is a very handsome, protective, giving man and was husband. He has always been thoughtful and loving to his sister, dad, stepdad, aunts/uncles and especially me. He is the oldest and only son. We have always been close and able to talk. He is currently living with his only sister. They have always been the best of friends, protective of each other and supportive. The hard part comes with his divorce, after 3 months of separation, he has shut down. He has not spoken to anyone, including his sister, in the family. He does hang out with a few friends. I have called, left messages, called, no messages... he doesn't answer or return calls. I tried once to reach him at work. He answered. Heard my voice and informed me he was at work. I asked if he would return the call... he promised he would and didn't. This has been going on for 3 months. I am at a loss as are his dad and the remaining family to whom he has always been close.
    I know he is angry & hurt, but why is he taking his grief out on those who love him and support him?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 09:21 AM

I know it is hard, but you have to respect his wishes. I don't know if you would call it 'grief' or not. He has to sort out his feelings the best way he can, and if it is excommunicating himself, then sobeit. It is his choice. He has had a kick in the pants and his self esteem has been compromised. Don't expect too much for a while.

I know as a mom where you are coming from. He will get over it.

Tick
    dccash Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 10:53 AM

Soon after I posted this question. I picked up the phone and tried again... to my shock he answered. He said he didn't know what to say, I told him he would when he was ready. Told him I loved and missed him. Spoke briefly about his new sport, snowboarding. Did not breach his privacy. Ask that he call when he had more time. It is a start!
    Tickle, thank you for your comment... BTW, I love quilts... it wraps you in warmth!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 03:16 PM

Most people feel that is what they get here, a warm quilt. Or I would like to think so. You son and you will eventually realize that scraps can turn into lovely things.

Ms tick
    tuny5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 10:43 AM
    I feel like I could probably answer this for you. 16 years ago I found out my husband was having an affair with his secretary right after I had my first and only child. I was devastated, I found withdrawing was more helpful then bringing it in the open and hearing people's statements, which only refreshed the hurt each time it was brought up. My dad would say what a no good for nothing he was and in truth when someone leaves you the feelings don't just leave, you still feel the love and the other person doesn't. It hurts bad. I think as long as he is living with his sister and has someone around that may be his healing mechanism. I think when people let him have his space and talk about other things, not that, he will come around. I did. I needed that privacy to mourn the loss of what I thought would be forever... 16 years later, I still don't really like to talk about it, it just hurt that bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting an adult family member? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi folks; This is a long story, so I'll try to be as concise and brief as possible. Six months ago, my married niece (28, two kids at the time) decided to locate her birth father (sister's high school b.f.). My sister and her husband were so outraged, they temporarily disowned her and have not...

My adult son does not talk to us anymore [ 33 Answers ]

A lady had asked a question and read and reread it as it is a very deep question. Her topic was My Adult son wont talk to me, Us. I read the answers as well. Today it is Christmas. I feel so alone. I do have other children. Yet there is a constant ache everyday that does not go away. In...

My middle adult son won't talk to me [ 1 Answers ]

I raised my 3 kids on my own. When my husband left I had a small part time job and no college education. My kids were very young. 9, 7 and 3 at the time. I knew I had to do something and quick to make a living and take care of my kids. So I enrolled in community college and took a two year course...

Evicting adult family members [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 27 year old sister who is a emotional drain on my family and she clearly has no intention of leaving the house. I really wish she would go away, is there anything I can do to get rid her?

My adult daughter won't talk to me [ 9 Answers ]

Hi... I'm stressed as can be. My daughter who just graduated from college just moved home in May. She did it to save money before she plans to move to another state. However, she made my life and my teenage son's life miserable. (I'm a single mom). All I asked that she do is help keep the house...

View more questions Search