Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigredron Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 05:08 AM
    Very skinny and cant gain weight
    Hi I'm a 23yr old male and I have always been a skinny kid. I was always very small for my age but when I reached about 14/15 I started to get into my growth spurt where I grew about 18inches in about 24month period. I am not about 6ft tall, however I am very skinny.
    My weight fluctuates between 57-59kg and at 6ft tall it ia really noticeable that I am underweight.

I have long arms and legs but they look so skinny, and my waist is tiny, my hip bones stick out... It is very embarrassing and I never take my shirt off in public because people always comment about it. I have tried eating lots of food, all that does is makes me go to the toilet more. Sometimes I even throw up because I stuff so much food in my mouth and force myself to eat more than I can physically handle.

I have invested in a weight lifting set and try to use it 3 times a week. I do all the important exercises such as bench press, squats, deadlifts, biceps curls etc, however on 4 separate occasions I find I become very sick after week 3 or 4 of weight training, where I am in bed for about 4 days at a time. After I get over being sick I find I lost the 3 or 4kg that I gained in the week before and I am back to square one again. Its very disheartening.

I am wondering if I may have an overactive thyroid or some other underlying disease where my metabolism is running at super fast speed. I am becoming desperate. I am even contemplating using steroids to give me a quick gain is weight if I don't find an answer soon.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Mar 2, 2009, 06:22 AM

Try going to the doctor...

I am the same way (although not as tall or skinny) but I am 5'10" and have weighed the same weight since 10th grade (142lbs) - as you get older your metabolism may slow down (I gained 6 lbs last year! Lol)

I wouldn't do a total weight training program... DO some exercising and some weight... but add to it that wieght gain stuff you can get at health stores... (like this: Protein Shop - GNC) its designed to bulk you up. Only issue is you will probably have to continue with the program even after you gain weight.

But first things first... go to the doctor. Good luck!
    boron Posts: 38, Reputation: 5

Mar 3, 2009, 06:55 AM

Bigredron, don't play with steroids and stuff like that. No need to spoil your hormonal balance...

Your primary doctor can run basic hormonal tests, and check blood sugar, electrolytes. Hyperactive thyroid makes you sweat excesively, also at night, feeling hyperactive. But there is also adrenal gland (cortisol)... anyway...

If you have low appetite, you can make a test for H.pylori infection of stomach - it's really common, and often goes without symptoms.

I was also small and then between 13-16, I've grown up for 14 cm. At 180 cm, I had 62 kg. I've gained 5kg (~10 lbs) during a year in the army. It was quite some physical effort, and we've eaten a lot of carbs, I guess - pasta, potatoes, BREAD, not really a lot of meat...

If you're an anxious kind of person, you are burning a lot with worries...

Concentrate on your work, organize your life, if that's needed, make firm goals, don't push. Being active, and not losing energy with million worries should help you gain few kilos (helped me).

Avoid foods that bloat (beans, fruits like pears, prunes, and other dried fruits), avoid sugary food in general, and try to go with carbs like they are in bread, pasta, polenta.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Mar 3, 2009, 11:19 AM
    The last guy is right, steroids are not worth the risk. They have many serious and deadly side effects. Why do you think so many professional wrestlers die in their mid 40s? I was tempted as well when I was in school, but decided not to and I'm glad now.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Mar 3, 2009, 11:47 AM

Just an FYI, what I suggested is NOT a steroid. It's a protein powder... its like eating 1000's of calories in a drink.
    Just helps to bulk up (I have never used it... but friends have)

GNC is General Nutrition Center - They sell Natural products.. like fish oils, herbal meds, etc... nothing like steroids :)
    boron Posts: 38, Reputation: 5

Mar 3, 2009, 12:06 PM

StaticFX, yes... it was bigredron "contemplating using steroids".

Proteins are also not so innocent. Extracting them from its natural source is then not natural. Like table sugar is not natural. Or if it is natural, it's not healthy in excess amounts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to gain weight [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is maria lily, and I'm trying to gain weight! I'm trying to gain 5 to 10 pounds in at least a week. Is that possible? Or at least see a difference in my weight in a week?

Skinny dog won't gain weight [ 6 Answers ]

Hi guys I have a femail pitbull who is just over a year, she only weighs about 60 to 65 pounds I've been to the vet about 3 times she doesn't have worms or nethign else wrong with her the problem is that is to skiny and hasn't gained any height nor width I'm feeding her on the regular basis and...

Gain Weight [ 3 Answers ]

I am on a mission to add 10kg's of weight to my body, I need suggestions on what type of food to eat and to know whether there is any medication I can take to make the process easier. If I gain 10kg's, I want to start body building and improve myself image. :cool: Any help is much...

Weight gain/s [ 1 Answers ]

After quitting 20 yeasrs of smoking I have gained weight by 1 stone. What is the correct weight for being 5 foot 1, age 35? What calorie instake can I have? I have never looked at the back of packets of food/gained weight like this before. What tummy excersises can be compledted at home? ...

Weight gain [ 6 Answers ]

Ok, I just had my 6 month prenatal visit two days ago. I was a little surprised to hear my weight gain. Up until the 5th month I had only gained about 5-7 pounds. (started out at 120-125lbs)my fifth month I gained 6 pounds. And apparently this time I gained 9 pounds. I was shocked to have gained...

View more questions Search