Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tj75 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 08:23 AM
    501C3 and recipient benefits
    Ok, here is my situation. I have a friend who needs adaptive equipment in the form of a service dog. The Commission for the blind is not an option because the animal needs to be dual trained as a seizure assist as well, which is not allowed by the organization. Well, a local pastor stepped forward and said that he was set up a fund just for her cause. He told her it was a 501C3 so that it people would be encouraged to donate because of the tax benefits. Well, that said he has behaved in a particular shady fashion since this all started and now will not even tell her exactly how much has been contributed. He has, in the past, given and offered her money to do such things like put a deposit on the dog, all the while saying that he would just reimburse himself from the 501C3 fund as money was contributed. Is this possible? And if so, why was so shifty and hesitant when she asked for cash out of this fund because the vendor/breeder she wants to work with does not except checks. And this pastor says the only way to get funds out is to write a check from the church directly to whatever vendors she wants to use. But if this is the case, then how can he reimburse himself? Please help clear the confusion so we can know the real story behind disperment of funds to a recipient! Thanks in advance
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2006, 09:44 AM
    501(C) is a section of the US tax code that governs non-profit organizations and charities.

I would also be concerned if the pastor does not provide regular statements of activity for this fund. I can understand that disbursements need to be made by check for accounting purposes.

Aug 23, 2006, 11:39 AM
    Thanks, Scott. I do worry that the Pastor practically refuses to disclose accounting information. After calling the IRS, I have found that a church, while eligible for 501C3 status, cannot then create a special fund with 501C3 status for an individual. Thus, that is at least one lie he has told my friend. But let me ask - if the 501C3 applies to the church as a whole, does that mean any "special fund" created is in actuality simply a discretionary fund whose monies can be used in any charitable activity, i.e. helping community memember with grocies, light bills, etc. as well as donation of adaptive equipment (as my friend needs)? My friend rec'd a grant from an organization for 800 dollars toward getting her service dog, she then turned around and gave that money to the pastor who now refuses to release it back to her. Is this because the money is now considered a donation to the church and, as mentioned above, the pastor has no obligation to contribute the money to her or her cause? I, too, see the benefit of working with checks for accounting, but is it absolutely necessary if the person she works with does not deal with checks. For accounting and IRS purposes will not a receipt from the vendor be equally valid as a cleared check?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2006, 12:29 PM
    I'm not really sure about that. You might want to repost this in the Tax forum.

Aug 23, 2006, 12:44 PM
    Okay, thanks for your help, Scott. I really just need to know if the way this guy (pastor) is operating is legitimate. I'll repost in the tax section, but tell me, what should she looking for or asking to know that everything is above board? I wouldn't want to think of a church being dishonest, but his actions seem fishy. Thanks again, I'll repost my previous in the other section.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 23, 2006, 12:47 PM
    I think you best call the Attorney General's office of the state you live in or the local authorities to look into the legality of what the pastor is doing. There is too much in what you say to suggest that your friend is being taken to the cleaners. Sadly 501c3 non-profit fraud is one of the fastest rising crimes in America.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

501c3 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Rahfeki Brown the questioned I have is can I file my 501c3 on my own don't want to pay the 400.00 dollars to someone else if I can do it myself

501c3 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I originally posted under philanthropy/charity and was directed to repost here for possible insight. Below are my two posts, if you can shed any light on the topic, I'd much appreciate it: Ok, here is my situation. I have a friend who needs adaptive equipment in the form of a service dog....

501c3 Asset Transfer [ 2 Answers ]

I Would Like To Know If It Is Legal (or Ethical) To Create A 501c3 Corperation And Donate The Assets From A 501c3 Church That Is Being Desolved Considering The Fact That The President Of The Desolved Church Is The President Of The Newley Organized 501c3 Corperation?

Tac free 501c3 corp. [ 2 Answers ]

How do you obtain financial info on tax free 501 c corporations like pay, travel expenses etc? I like to have this info before making donations.

501c3 [ 1 Answers ]

I am applying for a 501c3 tax status.I don't know if it will be a private foundation or not. Here is what I am looking at doing. Starting a christian camp for teens, that is funded with grants aand church support and help by indiv. Got any ideas? Thanks

View more questions Search