Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moondarious Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2009, 05:44 PM
    I am 17 and I need a job
    Hi
    I live in Florida and it is currently going through tough economic times just like the rest of the country. I am 17 years of age and have been a us citizen my entire life I am the average overweight teen who is looking for a job but nobody is willing to risk hiring me for one reason or another but I find that most people are unwilling to hire overweight people because of laziness but that is not me I am a very hard worker and I need a job with good pay so that I can help out the family while still saving up to move out
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by moondarious View Post
    Hi
    I live in florida and it is currently going through tough economic times just like the rest of the country. I am 17 years of age and have been a us citizen my entire life i am the average overweight teen who is looking for a job but nobody is willing to risk hiring me for one reason or another but i find that most people are unwilling to hire overweight people because of laziness but that is not me i am a very hard worker and i need a job with good pay so that i can help out the family while still saving up to move out
    How about newspaper delivery person? Good ones are hard to find. Do you have the use of a car? What about early morning delivery? City newspaper? Local newspaper? The newspaper or agency will pay you so much a month and, if you'd good and prompt and polite, people will tip you. It won't be tons of money, but it's a start and it would be lots of exercise.

Check at your area public library. The job of shelving books ("page") has a fast turnaround as teens grow out of the job or move away to college.
    Bhaktijames Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2009, 06:26 PM

Living in Florida, a lot of Masonry work there I am sure. (Brick, Block and Stone) Take your local yellow pages and find "Masonry Contractors" Start in the "A's" and work your way through and before you get to the "Z's" you will have a job as a Laborer!

It's the worlds 2nd oldest profession and hard work. Ask if they are hiring Laborers, all you need to know is where the ugly end of a shovel is located. Good Luck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 06:30 PM

Pizza delivery is normally always hiring, if you are good at a subject, tutoring.
    And of course if all else fails, try yard mowing, dog walking and the such
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2009, 10:15 PM

Hi, moondarious!

What are some of the things that you would like to do to make some money, please? I started tuning pianos when I was about 16. I was also working as a busboy at a local restaurant.

I'm not saying that tuning pianos is something for you, but just wanted to show you that it is possible to be self-employed at your age.

Thanks!
    Luscious Leo Posts: 65, Reputation: 12

Mar 1, 2009, 10:18 PM

I doubt they won't hire you because you are overweight.
    You are 17, which means you will only be able to work both part time and you don't have any experience.
    In this country, 6 million people are searching for jobs. Many of the jobs that were available to you are going to mothers/fathers with families to take care of, not teenagers looking to spend money on mall clothing.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 12:20 AM

It is illegal to discriminate based on age, weight, height, sexual orientation or anything else. What they are looking at is your ability to be a good employee. Do you have a resume and reference list prepared?

If not, that is the first place to start, make sure to put extra curricular activities, awards, and relevant experience on there.

craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums is a great place to apply for jobs. You can search by field or keyword. You can also apply to every job that you see, which is what I did... The last three jobs and last five years I've worked jobs that I applied to through CL.

Hope this helps.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2009, 12:29 AM
    That's interesting and helpful to find that a person can find legitimate work by using craiglist, Momma! I've heard some negative things about the employer prospects in it. But, I suppose that craiglist gets spammed like any other free advertising site does.

I use craigslist a lot, but not for looking or advertising for employees that I might hire. It is the main site from which I get most of my new business.

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 12:30 AM

No problem. It's actually pretty easy to weed out the fakies.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Mar 2, 2009, 04:58 PM

All good advice, but I hope you are not shortchanging school work just to get a job.
    Vision Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 11:54 PM

Also check with your school counselor, a lot of time they have job listings especially for students.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search