Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrispal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2009, 02:55 PM
    Gfci breaker + outlet in same circuit.breaker tripping
    I have a gfci breaker for a bathroom and there is an additional gfci outlet in the bathroom on the same circuit. The breaker was tripping intermittently over the past week and now will not re-engage. Should I suspect a faulty breaker or is it better to troubleshoot the circuit first?

The circuit includes 3 switches for lights, one switch for a fan, and one outlet (gfci).

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 02:57 PM

So are you saying you have a GFCI outlet on a circuit already protected by a GFCI breaker in the panel? If so, replace the outlet with a standard grounded duplex.

Mar 1, 2009, 03:11 PM

The breaker has a yellow test button on it but now that you ask the question I am not 100% if it specifically said gfci on it. Could the outlet cause the breaker to trip?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 03:15 PM

Your breaker could be bad or it could be doing what it is designed to do, trip when there is a fault. Start by getting rid of the redundant GFCI receptacle, it is not necessary. If the panel breaker still trips then you can try another identical GFCI breaker. If the new breaker trip then you have a faulty in you circuit. Check every connection on every outlet and fixture on this circuit. Make sure all connections are tight.

Mar 1, 2009, 03:26 PM

Thanks!! I'll give it a go

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI Breaker Tripping on Coast Spa [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a problem with my Coast Platinum Series Spa bought in 2001. The GFIC breaker is tripping. Spa information: Coast Platinum Series Model – ML40 Serial number – 004629 Control Pack/Circuit Board - TSPA-1-P122-P222-B1-01-CP1-H34.5-JJM-FL-RL-CC23453-01C Two Monster Flow 7.0...

110 outlet stops working, NOT tripping any circuit breaker. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 220 outlet three feet from a 110 outlet. When I am using a clothes washer on the 110, it goes dead after a while (10-30 minutes). No breaker is tripped. When I turn on the 220 clothes dryer, the 110 washer restarts from where it left off.

GFCI Outlet and Related Circuit Breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp GFCI outlet that is connected to a 15 amp outside breaker. When using electrical items on the circuit, my outside breaker is tripping without the inside GFCI breakers tripping. I am wondering whether the outside breaker is faulty or should be 20 amps. It doesn't make sense to me...

Hot tub circuit breaker tripping [ 1 Answers ]

I have had this hot tub for about 6 years. It has a history of blowing an internal 20 amp fuze. But, lately it runs a little while and then trips the circuit breaker. Any ideas?

View more questions Search