Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boothy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 04:25 AM
    Noise pollution
    Hey I was just wondering how much noise can car audio put out before it is too loud? And also is there a time limit or something?

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2006, 06:51 AM
    Noise laws vary from area to area. Generally they refer to noise that other people are subjected to. I doubt if there is any laws about how loud a car radio can go. The issue would be blasting any radio to the point it bothers others.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2006, 07:06 AM
    I know that disturbing the peace is a subjective thing...

We had a neighbor that we had some noise issues with (actually a group home) and were told when we talked to the police that if we were disturbed by noise enough to call the police, then its disturbing the peace. Just took a phone call and a few questions to find out what they would respond to. Luckily, the neighbor changed their ways and we never had to call the p.d. again.

Obviously they are human too, and are going to use reasonable judgement. Some noise at 2pm shouldn't be as big a deal as at 10pm. Call the local police dpt if you are unsure... simply tell them you want to understand the law better and someone can help define it for you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2006, 07:23 AM
    Hello boothy:

Noise, is a local problem and the law varies. Some localities have no noise ordinance, while others have quite restrictive ones, and the means to enforce it. On the more anal end, there is a distance and amplitude maximum and the cops have noise meters.

How do you know which one you're in? Look around. If you see million dollar houses and a lot of Volvos, you better not make a squeak.

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 11:53 AM
    The time limit is the most significant thing. If you're cruising down a street in a residential neighborhood at 3 AM blaring your car's sound system then you are definitely guilty of noise pollution. On the other hand, you might not be guilty if it were 3 PM. It depends on the decibel level and the standards set by the laws of your state or municipality.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Aug 29, 2006, 05:42 PM
    In my municipality, the bylaw states that the audio system of the car cannot be "clearly audible" at a distance of 25 feet. Again, "clearly audible" is a subjective measure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Noise [ 12 Answers ]

One of our toilets makes a loud noise, which seems to be coming from the pipes. It kind of sounds like there may be air or that the water is having trouble getting through the pipes. The noise starts once the tank is about half empty. Any ideas?

Excessive Noise [ 3 Answers ]

I have complained for two (2) weeks about neighbors playing loud music in their apartment keeping me up past 2 am to my apartment manager; but every time I complained she told me there was nothing she could do about it. One of my neighbors complained that I was stomping on the floor at 11:05 pm...

Noise in faucet [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn my kitchen sink on both hot water and cold there is a loud noise what can that be. Thank you

Annoying Noise [ 1 Answers ]

I just recently purchased my laptop from a website called usanotebook.com. It's a dell latitude c600 and it looks brand new. The only problem is this annoying, almost buzzing, tone-like sound that comes from the computer. When I mute sound on the computer, I don't hear the noise as much, just when...

Light pollution [ 2 Answers ]

Where in Florida is it possible to see the night sky without any light pollution

View more questions Search