Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JungleDoll Posts: 15, Reputation: -3

Feb 28, 2009, 10:09 PM
    Urgency! 1 yr old and the bathroom
    Okay so, I have 2 cats, one is an angel and the other is a sweetie but he's isn't going to the bathroom properly. When he usually doesn't there's something I can back it up with, but today he took a "dump" by the entrance for no real reason. My mother is getting tired of this, and if he takes a "dump" or a pee on a bed or some clothes she will throw him out into the streets without telling me, and she's serious, she will do it. I need desperate help on how to fix this. He's an absoult darling and I really don't want to get rid of him. Hes a netured male, 1 year. Ive tried many things, from what Ive learned he loves very clean and deep litter, so I scoop out the wastes every day ( I try at least, sometimes I need to skip 1 day because of being too tired or homework, but I try). His food is far away from his litter and I'm trying to give him some treats of when he goes on the litter properly again, but that's all I know so far. My mom stricktly believes shoving cats or dogs noses into the accident, Ive told her numerous times that doesn't work, I don't do that and I try to hide them when something happens. Please please help me, my moms at her wits end, I can't have my cat rid of. Ive had a hard life, and one of the main reasons Im alive today is because of my cats, I really do want to live, but if my cat is gone I may lose it, I would be losing 2 dear things to me in a month (my grandfather is dying from cancer and has around a week to live). Please help, I'll try anything. The 2 cats are pretty good friends, and I don't think they can live without each other, not to mention me. If you have any questions don't hazard to ask! Thank you!
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2009, 10:30 PM

When did he start doing this?

My first thought is that its stress and anxiety. If your grandfather is dying, I'm guessing there a lot of unrest at the moment, and cats will sometimes respond to a stressful environment by having accidents in this way. Also, if your mother is upset with him, and especially if she's rubbing his nose in it, this will only make him more anxious and stressed, leading to more accidents.

Can you tell us a little more about how long this has been going on and how frequently it happens?

Mar 1, 2009, 01:09 AM

Well its been going on for a year now, but he's stopped, but then he's started it again, he does it when ever there's something wrong with the litter, but today he did it for a reason I cannot seem to get, he peed on some clothes yesterday, but I suspected that was because his litter wasn't clean, but today I changed the litter and washed the box but he pooed on the carpet. Also my grandfather is not in my country, although my father has left the country to go see him, maybe because my dad left? I tried to get my mother to stop doing it but she won't, I just try to hide him when that happens, or comfort him when it does. He usually loves her again the next day though.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2009, 03:23 PM

I've given your problem a lot of thought and the best advice I can think to give you is: (1) keep the litter really clean. You may need to clean it more than once a day. It's a drag, I know, but it might make a really big difference. (2) Get another litter box and put it in another place. Keep it really clean too. (3) Try to let your mom know how important this cat is to you, that you are willing to pick up the slack and keep things clean (that way she doesn't feel like it's all falling on her shoulders) and try to help her understand that he's a good cat, that he doesn't mean any harm, and that he needs to be helped through whatever he's going through. My guess is that these accidents are caused by a combination of dirty litter and stress. Give him lots of love and affection and try to help him with the stress part of the problem. Keeping the litter especially clean, and maybe getting an additional litter box, should help with the rest.

I hope your mom doesn't kick him out. If I can think of anything else I'll let you know. And please let us know if you can think of anything else that might be going on with him.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 12:48 PM

I really agree with Akoue's suggestions.

I can understand your predicament, so I'm going to throw in a little brainstorming; you can decide if any of these things could be of help to your situation.

One thing that might help would be to pretend that you're starting from square one with a kitten or a new adult cat. What's the first thing you do when you have a new cat to teach them to use the litter box? Well, rather than giving them free range of the entire house, it's often better to start them out in a smaller space until they really get the hang of the way the litter box system works. Obviously, you'll want to keep his food, water and bed as far from the litter box as possible, and keep that litter very clean.
    Some kinds of litter are much easier to keep clean than others. If you're using an old-school style of litter that doesn't remove clumps, you might consider upgrading the litter you buy. If you decide to go this route, to avoid confusing him, add a little bit of it in with his old litter, and then gradually phase his old litter out. His it might be best I imagine you would prefer it if your cat could roam free, but I think that given the potential consequences that he could incur if left to his own devices, it's better to be safe than sorry. For now, you'll want to be able to control the situation as much as possible.

Also, make sure you're not leaving clothes or plastic bags on the floor. I knew someone with two cats who would want to mark either of those things, but only if they were on the floor. The solution was simple: don't leave those things lying around.

Make sure you're cleaning up all accidents (and old accident spots) with a good odor neutralizer from your local pet store. Make sure none of your cleaning products contain ammonia, as they can inspire cats to pee in the wrong places.

If your cat has some favorite accident spots, divide his food up among paper plates, and (while still feeding him a portion of his meals in the normal place) keep those plates over the areas he has been marking. He will not want to pee where he's eating.

Lastly, make sure your cat is kept happy and busy. Toys, organic greens (like catnip) and a rotation of cardboard boxes and paper bags can work wonders.

You're right in being upset about your mother rubbing your cats nose in his accidents. It doesn't work, it's pretty disgusting and cruel, and it can actually inspire more adverse effects than good ones.

What's most important is that, by controlling your kitty's accidents, you don't give your mother any excuses to decide your cat's fate. I wish you lots of luck.

Mar 13, 2009, 09:28 PM

Thank you everyone! Ill try these ideas, I do have any other litter box, but on the balconey, because there's no more space anywhere, but Ill start filling that up, but Ill try with the other ideas thank you! I really want to keep him, he's sleeping right beside me ritht now, thank you all!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom plumbing with basement bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me what cause my upstairs bathroom to back up into my basement bathroom?

Another Bathroom is needed... The boys are fighting to use the bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

First, thank you for having this kind of forum. Now also let me say that I'm not well versed in the plumbing lingo so hopefully you will be patient with my questions. I live in a 3 levels home (Basement, Main, Upstairs) with the existing bathroom is on the main floor. I'm planing to add...

Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pop up bathtub drain plug, with a threaded end on the bottom. I think where the threaded end connects in the drain has stripped out. Can this piece be replaced or what do I need to do to fix the problem? Thank you

View more questions Search