Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    libtech Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2006, 03:45 PM
    Reformatting hd and installing different OS
    Hi all--wasn't sure where to put this question, so I opted for this forum. Sorry if it's the wrong place.

I want to reformat my hard drive (with Windows XP Home) and install a Win2000Pro upgrade over Win98. And yes, I've thought about it and it's really what I want to do! :p

The computer I want to do this on is a laptop with no floppy drive.

Is this possible?

Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2006, 04:24 PM
    Yes since both OS are available on CDROM.

Aug 23, 2006, 01:36 PM
    Thanks, NK... I guess I should have been more specific.

Everything I've read tells me I have to reformat the hard drive using my Windows XP CD.

Should I do this and then install Win98 and then the Win2000Pro upgrade? Can I use my XP CD (it's a reinstallation CD from Dell) to reformat and then install another OS?

Or is there a way I can reformat my hd "manually" and then simply install the Win98/Win2000Pro?

I just don't want to mess up my hard drive in doing this.

Again, any help NeedKarmal or anyone else can give will be greatly appreciated!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 23, 2006, 03:10 PM
    I know you have thought about this, but I really must ask WHY?
    You are going to run into a mess of driver and configuration issues.

Aug 23, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Um.. I want the experience. :D :D :eek:
    BossMan

Aug 23, 2006, 03:35 PM
    OK certainly admirable, but I'd recommend you do this on a spare desktop rather than a laptop, too much proprierty stuff to worry about.
    Least you'll have a floppy drive to play with then.
    To cover what you have been thinking:
    You can't use the Dell recovery CD to simply format the system as it conatins a compete factory image of the hardware.
    It's not possible to "manually" format the drive as windows will rebuild its self, think File Protection.

WHat you could try, and this would give you even more experience, is burning a Win98 boot disc to a bootable CD and go from there using the format utils etc.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Aug 23, 2006, 03:44 PM
    Okay, yes, that does give me ideas, Curlyb. Thanks. I had kind of wondered about a bootable CD but everything I read said floppy floppy floppy so I wondered if maybe the floppy thing was tied to Win98 rather than the hardware during the era in which it was commonly used.

I KNEW I was going to regret giving my desktop away to free up the space in my study!

Please know that if you get bored or whatever and feel like diving into this fever swamp, any unsolicited advice will always be appreciated! LOL
    BossMan

Aug 23, 2006, 03:46 PM
    Hey I'm always around here, so just feel free to ask anything. ;)

Aug 23, 2006, 03:58 PM
    You may regret that... :D

Thanks!
    stomper70 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2006, 08:48 AM
    How to format hard drive
    stomper70 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2006, 08:49 AM
    How to reformat hard drive
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2006, 09:02 AM
    When I reformat a hard drive I always make sure I have another PC/laptop hooked up to the internet to a) research any issues, and b) download any drivers needed. If you are lucky enough to have that option go for it, it solves so many headaches straight away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing thermastat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I'm trying to install a programmable thermastat and the directions say to mark the wires before taking them off the old one. They are not marked at all anywhere. I have a red and a white one. Any idea what I should mark them as? Any help would be so appreciated. The electrition I called wants...

Acsess 2nd drive without reformatting [ 8 Answers ]

I somehow locked Myself out of My 2nd drive And I thought I could restore security settings to default by formatting and reinstalling Windows XP Professional SP2 . I was wrong . Now it looks as if the 2nd drive is empty and when I try to access it Im told it is not formatted . Is there a way...

Installing a two wir thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I am tryig to install a two wire thermostat in a mobile home. The wires are not marked. It is a manual 24 volt thermostat with markings G,Y,W,RH,B,O,RC with RH and RC already connected. It is a red and white wire going to the blower that connect red to red and white to green. Please HELP!:confused:

Installing new os [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, need some advice before I mess things up again... I have two os xp home and pro on same partition, had enough viruses,trojan and worm but thanks to forum I have able to remove most of them. I am also getting error at start up 'secondary disk drive 0 not found' and also cd rom is not listed...

Installing office in XP [ 5 Answers ]

I purchased a new laptop that came with windows XP professional. The first time I logged on to the internet, I used Windows update and installed all the updates. Then, I inserted my Office XP cd and got this message. "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location...

View more questions Search