Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chazmataz2 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 05:16 PM
    98 chev p/u,4x4,frt wheel hub replacement
    got a 98 chev p/u,4x4... my right wheel hub bearing is going bad.I am wondering if I need any specialty tools to do the job.once the spindle removed and the old bearing is out,can I put the spindle in the house to warm it up and put the bearing in the freezer?. then through the temp difference tap the new bearing in the spindle?. by the way,I live in mi and will be doing this in my driveway with no air tools.I have some auto experience so I can improvisewhen I have to:i've just never done this kind of job... thanks for any replys... charlie
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 05:28 PM

. Heavy-duty puller to remove the hub. Spindle will be splined and rusted. Without air, spindle nut removal may be tough--use Kroil or PB Blaster.

. Torque wrench (250 lb.-ft. rating) to retorque the spindle nut (likely 200 lb.-ft.)

If you don't replace the whole hub, use a bearing press to press out the old bearing and press in the new one. Coat outside of new bearing with grease, prior to pressing it in.
    dobiefloyd Posts: 67, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2009, 06:42 AM
    It is not that bad of a job, Just a few bolts and it should tap off with a hammer. Personally I would replace the whole hub, unless you have a bearing press. A complete hub is cost effective if you figure your time. Also be aware that you will have an ABS sensor in there so be careful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 Chev Cavilier [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where the fuel filter and PCV valve are located on a Chev Cavilier 2003? 2.2 Eco Tec motor Thanks Lenx:) :)

91 Chev truck 1500 [ 1 Answers ]

I have replace the ac compress 2 times. The first time the ac clutch was kicking on and off. Replace the compress and clutch and its doing the samething again. The clutch is kicking on and off. When you crank the truck its fine when you speed up the engine the clutch starts clinking.

Tilt-wheel steering wheel problem [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1998 Buick Park Ave the tilt-wheel will no longer change positions. A couple of days ago I got in the car, adjusted the steering wheel and heard something Pop. Since then, the steering wheel will only stay in that position. Does anyone know how I might go about fixing this problem? ...

View more questions Search