Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aaronsmummy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 05:04 PM
    My 2 year old has very sore eyes!
    My son seems to have a severe eye infection. He woke up on Thursday morning unable to open his eyes. They were swollen and stuck together. I contacted my GP surgery but couldn't get an appointment, however they left me a prescription for eye drops.
    Since then he has got worse. I tried to get an appointment at A&E tonight but the first appointment they had was for 1.30am which is too late for Aaron (2 years old)
    His eyes are swollen and red and weep all the time. I have continued with the drops and bathe them with salt water every hour or so.
    It is heartbreaking as he keeps telling me his eyes are sore and there is nothing I can do about it! My GP surgery doesn't open now until Monday morning and I am very worried about him.
    Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
    Jayne Marie (Aaron's mummy) :confused:
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 05:09 PM

It sounds like he has conjunctivitis ("pink eye"). Please don't put salt water in his eyes; the prescribed drops should be enough. It takes several days before improvement. It's very contagious, so always wash your hands after putting in drops, etc.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pink-eye/DS00258

Feb 28, 2009, 05:12 PM

Thank Wondergirl. My GP suggested the salt water, will stop this and just go with the drops for the moment and see if that helps.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronsmummy View Post
    Thank Wondergirl. My GP suggested the salt water, will stop this and just go with the drops for the moment and see if that helps.
    Not sure about the salt water (a wash?). Maybe Doula or J9 will shed some light on this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 05:22 PM

Not sure where you live but if possible with a small child learn where there are walk in clinics that you can be seen the same day, and if a child is really ill, 2 am or 1 am is not great but it does get them seen.

Feb 28, 2009, 05:38 PM

Wondergirl, sorry I don't know what doula or j9 is? The salt water is just freshly boiled water with some salt in it.

Fr. Chuck - we live in Scotland, and yes although 1.30am gets him seen, he was falling asleep lying on the floor so doubt it would have been helpful to keep him up till then (we were told a 9pm to wait until 1.30am) It is only 12.40am (Sun Morning) just now and he is sound asleep. We don't have walk in-clinic's and getting GP appointments are not easy (though I am not knocking the NHS). I will try and get an appointment again in the morning if no better.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 05:40 PM

A warm salt water compress or saline drops are sometimes used to flush the eye.
    If you happen to be breastfeeding, breastmilk also works very well for many bacterial eye infections.
    A warm, wet flannel or cotton wool can be used to gently loosen any material in the eyes so that the wash and/or drops can get to the eye better.
    Does he feel some relief with the warm or cool compress?
    Has he recently been ill with a cold? Feeling poorly in any other way? Any fever involved?
    It likely will just need to run its course, but do take him back in if there isn't any change with the treatment you have been trying so far.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Wondergirl, sorry I don't know what doula or j9 is? The salt water is just freshly boiled water with some salt in it.

Fr. Chuck - we live in Scotland, and yes although 1.30am gets him seen, he was falling asleep lying on the floor so doubt it would have been helpfull to keep him up till then (we were told a 9pm to wait until 1.30am) It is only 12.40am (Sun Morning) just now and he is sound asleep. We don't have walk in-clinic's and getting GP appointments are not easy (though I am not knocking the NHS). I will try and get an appointment again in the morning if no better.

Guess I get spoiled to living in Atlanta GA USA, care centers 24 hour a day, even several local drug stores have a NP that can treat minor health issues.

Feb 28, 2009, 05:49 PM

Fr. Chuck - I went to our local pharmacy today but the pharmacist was not interested in helping, just kept saying keep going with the drops, so felt it was a waste of time!

Doula - yes, he seems to get some relief from the salt water and it cleans out his eyes. Yes he has had a cold/viral infection for 4 weeks now. He has not been 100% better since. He has had the odd cold and tummy upset but he is not a sicky child and is usually in good health, same when he was a wee baby.

Thanks for all your replys
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 05:53 PM

Fr. Chuck - we live in Scotland, and yes although 1.30am gets him seen, he was falling asleep lying on the floor so doubt it would have been helpfull to keep him up till then (we were told a 9pm to wait until 1.30am) It is only 12.40am (Sun Morning) just now and he is sound asleep. We don't have walk in-clinic's and getting GP appointments are not easy (though I am not knocking the NHS). I will try and get an appointment again in the morning if no better.
    Doula and J9 are two women in the medical field and are members of this site. Follow the directions on the drops bottle. I get pink eye once a year or so, and I know how much eyes can itch. The salt water is probably to help wash the gunk away. Put it on a soft cloth if you use it and gently wipe your little one's eyes.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 06:03 PM
    Fr. Chuck - I went to our local pharmacy today but the pharmacist was not interested in helping, just kept saying keep going with the drops, so felt it was a waste of time!

Doula - yes, he seems to get some relief from the salt water and it cleans out his eyes. Yes he has had a cold/viral infection for 4 weeks now. He has not been 100% better since. He has had the odd cold and tummy upset but he is not a sicky child and is usually in good health, same when he was a wee baby.

Thanks for all your replys

Can only speculate since we can't see him, but it's quite likely a result from his cold, which would be pretty common. Keep with the compresses, cleaning, and drops, treat his cold with the usual... plenty of fluids and rest. Take him back in if it doesn't look like it is starting to improve after a few days or obviously if it starts to look worse. It would have been nice if they would have seen him before prescribing drops as there can be different causes. What are the drops called? I would suspect they are meant for most eye infections or irritations.

Hope he starts to feel better in the next couple of days... nothing worse than a toddler who doesn't feel well and can't really understand what is going on.

Mar 1, 2009, 01:36 PM

It is called "Chloromycetin Redidrops".
    The good news is that today Aaron's eyes are a bit better. They are not weeping as much, but he just said to me "Mummy, eyes, drops" which obviously means that they are itching again.
    I have stripped his bed to get his covers and pillow case all washed in case the infection is on the sheets, and starts again.
    I have continued with the salt water washes and it helps and he gets relief from it.
    Thanks again for all your replys x
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2009, 03:41 AM

Good to hear he is feeling better. The redidrops should take care of it if it is from a bacterial infection.
    Smart to wash anything that he may come in contact with and wash your own hands often as well to limit your exposure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red tender sore on the top outter skin of his ear it is very sore to the touch [ 2 Answers ]

My dad has a red tender sore on the top outter skin of his ear it is very sore to the touch It leaks puss like yellow fluid all day. When he touches it, it hurts for minutes after He is in the sun a lot so he thinks it might be cancer. Would cancer have these symptoms also What do you...

Eyes get really sore when I try to sleep [ 3 Answers ]

This has been keeping me awake for an extra hour or so every night, a fairly new problem that has been occurring every night for a few weeks. When I try to go to sleep, I close my eyes, and then they start to hurt. Do you know the feeling your eyes get when you look too far in one direction, so...

How do I open my 17 year old daughters eyes [ 7 Answers ]

My 17 year old daughter hater me. She has a drug dealer with no job, no education and living with low life daddy for a boyfriend . She has now dropped out of school- law says nothing I can do. She smokes marijuana- nothing I can do unless its found on her. She calls me every name in the book( id...

Sore hip [ 2 Answers ]

I have this pain in my left hip that I've had for almost 2 years now. I'm 24 years old and fairly healthy. Its not unbareable but it is quite annoying and I don't want it to get any worse. My grandma recently had her hip replaced so I wonder if its something hereditary... anyone have a similar...

Both eyes are shaking (vibrating) from age of 3 year [ 5 Answers ]

Dear sir / madam Problem 1. Both eyes are shaking (vibrating) from age of 3 year 2. difficalt to open both eyes under sun light its happen very small but at night I can open eye normaly Now I am 38 age Male My eyes do not mach any eye spacs number now I am using plan anti-reflection...

View more questions Search