Ask
    KTOWERS3 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Art: Photography or Not
    Why is photography not art
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 02:01 PM

Whoever told you that ? Of course it is. Catching light the right away on a subject. Recording color with the right film. Of course its art. Even black and white photos are artform because of light (and dark). Andy Warhol experimented and won international fame and a lot of money.

Artists record what they want to paint first of all with a photo, many photos in many different aspects so they can capture just what they want to convey.

I am an artist in stained glass, a certain light on a particular colour of glass and texture is very important to me. A client will have a particular window in mind for a panel, or a certain door in mind to capture a lighting.

Yes, I would say photography is an artform. I use a camera at times to record lighting.

Tick
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 02:12 PM

Hi, KTOWERS3!

Yes, as has already been mentioned, photography is an art. It's one of the visual arts. The more creative that one gets with their photography, the more artistic it becomes.

Why are you asking the question, please?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 02:12 PM

Hi, KTOWERS3!

Yes, as has already been mentioned, photography is an art. It's one of the visual arts. The more creative that one gets with their photography, the more artistic it becomes.

Why are you asking the question, please?

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2009, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    whoever told you that ? Of course it is. Catching light the right away on a subject. Recording color with the right film. Of course its art. Even black and white photos are artform because of light (and dark). Andy Warhol experimented and won international fame and a lot of money.

Artists record what they want to paint first of all with a photo, many photos in many different aspects so they can capture just what they want to convey.

I am an artist in stained glass, a certain light on a particular colour of glass and texture is very important to me. A client will have a particular window in mind for a panel, or a certain door in mind to capture a lighting.

Yes, I would say photography is an artform. I use a camera at times to record lighting.

tick
    But isn't it just a mechanical means to capture the light. The hand is not merely pressing the button and moving the dials to alter time and amount of light. The hand is not creating something new. It is creating what is there, in an altered way.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 03:24 PM

It is the pick of the right lens, the right shutter speed, working with image, with shaddows, with fading and so much more.
    If you think it is just pushing a buttom you have never studied it.

After that you learn to pick subject matter and to present it in ways to express your feelings

Feb 28, 2009, 03:31 PM

Are not all those things mechanical? The right shutter speed and or film speed coupled with the correct f stop etc. are all mechanical not something new and unique in nature. Yes you can take it (the image) back to Photoshop and create a contrived image. Not a unique object that was made from a blank canvas. Or cube of marble.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 04:30 PM

I don't really know where you're wanting to go with this, KTOWERS3.

One of the musical instruments that I play is the piano. I sit down, strike keys with my fingers, count, listen, read, hammers strike the piano wires, right foot operates the sustaining pedal. Why is playing the piano not "Art"?

Again, I ask you, why are you asking the question, please?

Thanks!
    Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I don't really know where you're wanting to go with this, KTOWERS3.

One of the musical instruments that I play is the piano. I sit down, strike keys with my fingers, count, listen, read, hammers strike the piano wires, right foot operates the sustaining pedal. Why is playing the piano not "Art"?

Again, I ask you, why are you asking the question, please?

Thanks!
    I don't know, I go to a lot of open mike nights, and not all piano playing is "art" or even music

Feb 28, 2009, 05:15 PM
    It is a question that was asked in the mid 1800's about the New invention "the Camera". It was not only asked by me, but the likes of John Ruskin, and many other noted "artist's of that time. Your answer is a non answer, by striking the keys and depressing the pedal, are you an artist? Do you create music by the actions or are you just a craftsman that apes the actions of others?
    Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 05:30 PM

The very early cameras had no options except to take a photo and it was basically no adjustments.

But your camera may auto set many things and I guess my camera can but a person who is into photos uses all of it as a art, from the shaddows of the sun, to the wind blowing a flag or a hair.

There are displays of photo art in major places all the time. The last one I went to was of pregnant women.

Feb 28, 2009, 05:37 PM
    True but just saying it is ART does not make it true. Around the same time Art was considered spiritual, ethereal, and visionay. A camera, no matter how you contort the bells and whistles, duplicates what is in front of the lens(whatever lens) and does not create newness.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWERS3 View Post
    It is a question that was asked in the mid 1800's about the New invention "the Camera". It was not only asked by me, but the likes of John Ruskin, and many other noted "artist's of that time period. Your answer is a non answer, by striking the keys and depressing the pedal, are you an artist? Do you create music by the actions or are you just a craftsman that apes the actions of others?
    Hey, thanks for finally answering my question, KTOWERS3! Now, we're getting somewhere!

My answer to you was an answer because it challenges you to think as to what is art that goes beyond your original question. Yes, piano playing is an art, even if it's not done well. I do it well, though. I am an established artist at doing it. Even if someone were to ape the actions of another, I would consider that to be an art. Even mimicking can be considered to be creating, especially if it's new for the person doing the mimicking.

It's a matter of definition, and that which is defined can be up to the interpretation of the person doing the defining.

I also use the computer to create music. I use a program where I put in notes according to what I hear in my head, select a key and time signature for the music and write away! Is that not also an art?

Please see what can be found via clicking on the following links.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/music/...on-298752.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/writin...ng-267729.html

You would have to go a number of pages into the second thread in order to see where the actual composition happens. However, the wording of the lyrics is an art that was fun to create with another person.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWERS3 View Post
    True but just saying it is ART does not make it true. Around the same time period Art was considered spiritual, ethereal, and visionay. A camera, no matter how you contort the bells and whistles, duplicates what is in front of the lens(whatever lens) and does not create newness.
    Merely creating an image is something that's new. But, who said that something needs to be new in order to be art?

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Well then you are certainly an artist. You say so. It is true. I have to seek no further answer into this matter.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 06:02 PM

I'm being artistic and creating something on the following thread.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/music/...ck-323052.html

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2009, 06:13 PM
    I'm happy for you.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 06:18 PM

I'm glad that you are happy! Thanks!

What I created is now on that thread in an image.

What sort of things do you like to do, please?

Feb 28, 2009, 07:13 PM
    I'm a retired senior citizen, who is finishing my Master's of Fine Art degree. I like doing everything.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 07:18 PM

Do you like to write poetry or lyrics to songs? Do you play a musical instrument?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A-1 Photography [ 13 Answers ]

I need help with A-1 Photography

How to Get Into Pro Photography! [ 1 Answers ]

Hey! Well after taking time for myself I finally decided I want to go into the field of photography I really enjoy taking photos and decided I want to make a career out of what I like to do! I take pictures with my digital cam and that's as much as I no to do lol I was wondering what I...

Car Photography. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a huge fan of cars, and I love taking pictures. Feel free to post pictures of your cars! :D

A-1 Photography [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with the General Journal in A-1 Photography what the book have for total and what I have for General Journal does not add up the boo $171,705 my total is $168,191... where am I going wrong? Thank you for your help. Lois DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ANSWERS ON THIS SUBJECT OR...

View more questions Search