Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bosey Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2006, 10:25 AM
    Math Quiz Questions
    Help! I need to find the answer to the following two questions by 4:00 p.m. today. Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Polynomial and Rational Inequalities:

Problem: Solve : x^2 + 56 < 15x

Equations Quadratic in Form:

Problem: Solve: x^4 - 10x^2 +25 = 0
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Aug 22, 2006, 06:41 PM
    Well, it's 9:30, so I'm guessing you missed your deadline or already figured this out. But, in case you still need some help (though I'm not going to do your homework for you), these questions are both about factoring.

x^2 + 56 < 15x

Step 1: rearrange so that all terms are on one side of the equation
    Step 2: factor to a form (x-a)(x-b)<0
    Step 3: solve (x-a)(x-b)=0
    Step 4: this should divide values of x up into three different domains - greater than b, less than a, and between a and b. Now figure out in which of these domains the original inequality holds true. It can be one, two, or all three of them.

x^4 - 10x^2 + 25 = 0

Step 1: let y = x^2, that means y^2=x^4. Make these substitutions
    Step 2: factor the quadratic equation, and solve for all possible answers for y
    Step 3: take your equations y=a and y=b, and substitute x^2 back in for y
    Step 4: solve for all possible values of x

Cheers!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Math 10 Applied Trigonometry Questions [ 6 Answers ]

Argh trig. = http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/modelalyssa/Mee/trig.jpg c) Calculate the angle formed at A. d) Calculate the bearing of A from B. 2. Jose wants to find the height of a radio tower situated on top of a building. Lying on the ground, 10 m from the base of the...

Quiz Time [ 7 Answers ]

Now, I do not know, but who can successfully name all of the artists back in the 80's who sung the song "We are the World."

Quiz Of The Year ? [ 2 Answers ]

What a Challenge? SEE:- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/12/26/nquiz26.xml&DCMP=EMC-new_26122005

View more questions Search