Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHOWEY1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 07:20 PM
    Why do older people's nose run when eating?
    Why do older people's nose run when eating?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 07:53 AM

I've not seen that this is the case. Maybe the person you're speaking of has a cold.
    PattyJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2012, 12:30 PM
    Histamine is a chemical in the body involved in immune response and gastric secretions as well as other functions. It causes people's noses to run when it dilates blood vessels along the mucosa causing the capillaries to leak. It's likely that the increase in histamine from eating due to involvement with gastric secretions also triggers the nose to run.
    Why exactly it happens more in elderly people is a question for a geriatrician, though as with many other bodily functions, age alters the normal mechanisms.
    If you want more detail, look up histamine as a chemical and the role of histamine in gastric (stomach) physiology and its triggering of runny noses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why Do Some People's Have Runny Noses When They Are Eating [ 19 Answers ]

Just wanted to see if anyone has any insight as to why and what is physically going on when some people get older they always have a runny nose when they are eating. I personally, used to see this happening all of the time when I worked as an activity aide at a nursing home. Now, I find that I...

Blister on nose,size of silver dollar, nose res,hot swollen [ 5 Answers ]

Please help us. My husband 53 yrs old. Woke up 3 days ago with a Dark red, very hot to touch, swollen nose with a blister, the size of a silver dollar. It still hasn't broken and also the first day his cheeks were red and hot to touch. We have no insurance and he won't go out of the house. I have...

Runny nose when eating [ 2 Answers ]

Why does my nose run when I'm eating, even non-spicy foods?

A People's War [ 1 Answers ]

How Were The Chicanos And Japanese Americans Treated During World War Ii? How Did The Media Treat Both Groups?

View more questions Search