Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frkggio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 06:21 AM
    How aggressive are tne roots of the ficus trees what is the distance from building
    How aggressive are the roots of the ficus trees? And how for from the building should they be planted
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 03:23 PM

Hi, frkggio!

It would help to know which specific variety of Ficus tree it is in order to address your question the best.

Please click on the link below to get an idea as to how large some Ficus trees can grow and how aggressive the root system can be.

Ficus trees and ficus hedges

If we know the specific variety it is about which you're wanting to know information, then we'll be able to help you the best here.

Thanks!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2009, 01:24 PM

Once you know what tree you have and how big it will get the rule of thumb for most trees roots is the roots go out as far as the canopy is. The roots stays in line with the tree canopy as it grows.

That's how most trees take advantage of their drip line and gets water from that source also. the trees canopy water drip line to the young feeder roots.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2009, 03:37 PM

I'm just going to add a little to what I first stated above, and that would be that the root system of a Ficus is very invasive and can cause damage to structures, sidewalks, driveways and plumbing. Again, we don't know the specific variety here, but unless you want to be trimming a Ficus tree's canopy and even root system back on a regular basis, it would probably be in your best interests to plant something that doesn't have such an invasive root system. The roots can extend well beyond the circumference of the tree canopy.

There's enough information out there on the Internet to not warrant my copying and pasting anything here.

Please see:

For anyone who loves Ficus and Banyan trees (palms, animals, ant) - Garden - Trees, Grass, Lawn, Flowers, Irrigation, Landscaping... - City-Data Forum

Trees: are ficus trees bad for a yard?, ficus trees, ficus tree

Ficus trees - Topic Powered by Eve For Enterprise

The 7 Sins of Tree Root Stress - Landscape Management

Ficus Tree Roots Extend Beyond Canopy - Google Search

Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 11:41 AM

Ficus trees are very fast growing trees with very invasive root systems. The ficus hedges are not so invasive and don't grow so quickly.

Don't place a ficus near any type of underground utilities such as electrical lines or water lines and definitely not sewer lines. Ficus roots can uproot sidewalks and ruin building foundations as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mold on ficus [ 1 Answers ]

Help! My ficus tree has mold on leaves and truck. What do I do? I am not a plant person. I got this as a present and I don't want to kill it.

Ficus tree [ 5 Answers ]

I had a large ficus tree cut back. I do not want it to grow again. The tree service Guy told me use diesel fuel. Which I have been doing. Any other tips to prevent the ficus from growing?? Because of hurricanes I am compel to cut this monster ficus tree Back to 7 feet hight. Some of the roots...

Ficus Trees Planted [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My gardner just planted 5 Ficus Trees in a raised planter I have that stretches the length of my back yard and is about 16inches wide. The raised planter is composed of a 6 foot retainer wall in the front with a 16 foot back wall. My backyard faces a private community, hence the reason for...

Ficus tree [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6' ficus that was recently given to me as a gift. Upon further inspection, I found that it has a dry black mold over most of the leaves and parts of the branches. I need to find out if, in the long run, this will be damaging to the plant. The mold is easily removed by taking a damp...

Ficus Tree [ 1 Answers ]

My ficus tree is weak and has lost the majority of its leaves. I'm trying to doctor it back to health. It is not over-watered, currently in indirect sunlight. It has no sappy discharge, mold, mites, etc. I have a perfectly healthy ficus but need advise on how to revive it back to health. ...

View more questions Search