Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    electroboy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 05:24 AM
    3-way switch trips GFCI
    All,

I installed a GFCI in a bathroom that has 2 outlets, 2 vanity light bars controlled by a pair of 3-way switches, and a shower room with a Nutone fan/heater/light combo. I installed a GFCI in one outlet and when I turn on the lights, the GFCI trips. Both outlets have two cables in them and everything listed above shares the same hot wire. At this point my poor brain is in overload and I fear it will soon trip also:eek:

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :D
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Feb 28, 2009, 06:42 AM
    Have a look here re. electric wiring of 3-way switches (which are actually 2-way switches)

Link to wiring diagram - just replace lamp with any other load.

Notes
    One side of the load goes to neutral.
    The life wire goes to the switch-over contact of switch 1.
    Both switches are interconnected : NO to NO and NC to NC.
    The switch-over contact of switch 2 goes to the other side of the load.

Except to life and neutral, do not connect anything else to this 3-way switch system.

Does this help you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot tub gfci trips [ 19 Answers ]

I'm about to pull my hair out... Gfci on hot tub trips as soon as breaker in main panel is turned on... replaced breaker with new 50 amp gfi... replaced wires from gfi box to tub... unhooked all plugs on control box... it even trips if you unhook the main hot wires to the tub... with only the...

GFCI breaker trips on outdoor BBQ [ 3 Answers ]

I built a big brick BBQ 2 years ago and it has worked flawlessly. The BBQ has a dedicated circuit from the garage panel. There is a switch on top (of the counter) that controls an outlet behind the fridge for the rotisserie, and there is one outlet that has power for the fridge. I was required by...

Submersible pump trips gfci [ 9 Answers ]

My pond pump has been operating for over a year. Recently it tripped the gfci. I pulled it and took it apart but didn't see anything obvious. I pulled the ground wire and tried the pump and it worked. Anyone have any ideas?

GFCI trips when a separate circuit is activated [ 4 Answers ]

I'd appreciate help on an odd problem. I'm pretty good with electricity but stumped on this. I installed a GFCI in the middle of a 120V outlet circuit. It works correctly, protecting itself and all the downstream load outlets. But, on a completely separate circuit (separate breaker), I also...

GFCI on breaker panel trips, 3 way, how to find the problem? [ 1 Answers ]

Periodically one GFCI in the panel trips This particular circuit runs an outside outlet, one light in the basement and it seems to work 2 switches and a plug in the family room The problem with the 2 switches in the family room at opposite ends are suppose to turn the plug off and on as a 3...

View more questions Search