Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allison123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 07:58 PM
    What does Contractor need to file a lien?
    I had a verbal agreement with a contractor to complete work for $30K by April 2008 (work started Jan 2008). He did not meet deadline and never finished final details of project. Said he was "done" end of September 08. He used an additional $10K of my Home Depot credit line to purchase supplies and I paid over $6K for cabinetry/ kitchen remodel (totaling over $46K). He JUST (Feb '09) sent me a bill for over $11K and is threatening a mechanic's lien for twice that on this and another one of my properties. He has nothing in writing. I have proof of payments, proof of payments to another contractor to complete and correct his work, proof of correspondence with a real estate agent on work expectations that were not met (impacting his ability to market the property).

Can he file a lien? Do I need to get an atty?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2009, 08:03 PM

Your problem here is that its pretty easy to file a mechanic's lien. So you might not be able to stop it. However, if one is filed, you can sue him to have it removed.

In the future you should do nothing if its not in writing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm both an independent contractor and W2 employee -- how do I file taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

In 2008, I have worked both as a W2 employee and an independent contractor (my wages are split between the two about half and half). This is the first year I'm paying as an independent contractor, and from what I've learned so far, you need to pay quarterly (I'm OK so far because I've really...

How do I file a warrant against a form contractor [ 3 Answers ]

How do I file a warrant against a former contractor who stole equipment from my company? Do I have to have a judgement against him before I can place a lien on his property? Please advise asap

Lien on a contractor [ 4 Answers ]

My husband & I are contracting our home out to be built. We hired a framer whom was referred to us by the company President Homes out of Council Bluffs whom we are going through. We have had nothing but issues with the framer. We had to have them redo numerous things & now he is mad because we...

Can a contractor put a journeymans lien on my home if he refuses to fix the problems? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Follow up but different question from yesterday... contractor did landscape work and a large part of it was horrible work, and steps are dangerous. I asked him to fix all the problems and he walked off saying merry christmas, he wasn't going to fix anything, but if he heard me talking...

View more questions Search