Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockyt Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2006, 08:16 AM
    Ceiling
    I was looking for a leak in my attic and accidentally stepped off the beams. I cracked the sheet rock( I don't even know if that's how you spell it) anyway it didn't crack completely in have just enough to look bad. The crack is about 3 feet long. I was wondering if I could fix it by sanding it smooth and maybe putting some of that tape stuff on and then painting it? How's that sound? Or do I need to replace my ceiling?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 22, 2006, 10:24 AM
    If it's a crack you should be able to apply a mesh tape, then joint compound and sand smooth. You might want to think about using a sand, stucco or popcorn finish as it can hide such imprefections.

That would still be cheaper then replacing the ceiling.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Aug 22, 2006, 08:19 PM
    What you can do is go back in the attic, install a pieces of wood between the beams (ceiling joists) where you stepped off. Take some scrap plywood pieces to use as a platform so you don't step off the joists again. Then go to the room and screw the sheetrock into the pieces of wood you just installed, tape it w/ mesh tape, spackle it w/ about 2-3 coats (sand rough edges in between coats), prime then paint.

Aug 23, 2006, 01:26 PM
    Sounds ez enuff thanks so much!!

Aug 23, 2006, 01:27 PM
    Yes you helped a lot I think I will have to hide it with some type of texture.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2006, 01:36 PM
    If you've not done a lot of patching or seams in drywall, remember to use thin layers of compound, and a sanding sponge can be great. Wet or dry, I'm always happy with how smooth the patch is with a sponge when doing patchwork.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 1, 2006, 10:37 AM
    If its in the bedroom, a mirror might do the job!

There is no problem with the ceiling but you may want to consider installing some planks in your attic!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help with this ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house, and all the rooms have ceiling fans with light features on them... but the one in our masterbedroom, the people that lived here in the house before didn't put the light feature on it but I have its sitting here in the box and there's no instruction the people that...

Ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I recently bought a hugger fan, but I am not sure if the box I have in the ceiling will hold it (Its just the box screwed into some plasterboard). What kind of support do I need to provide for the fan?

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

Ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Ceiling fan will not reverse rotation. JL

Old-style ceiling box and ceiling fan [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to install a ceiling fan. The present ceiling box (if you can even call it a box) is an very old-style cylindrical black hunk of metal with four holes for the wires and a hole in the center through which there is a 3/8" threaded metal rod which supports the "box". Obviously this...

View more questions Search