Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katieannk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Houseplants
    I was told when the leaves of your house plants turn black on the tips it means that you either have water too much or not enough. I would like to know which one is true.
    Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 05:35 PM

It means you have watered too much (as in black because it is rotting from within). Every plant is different in their reauirements. If the earth looks dry on top, it doesn't necessarily mean it is dry on the bottom. There is a simple inexpensive meter you can buy that you stick in the earth around the plant, to tell you how wet it is in the bottom. Walmart has them, most garden centers have them.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2009, 05:53 PM

Hi, katieannk!

What kind of plants are having that problem, please? It could be due to too much salt built up in the soil or other factors. But, more information from you is needed such as to the kind of plants these are, how old the plants are, how much you water them, where they're located in your home, etc.

Thanks!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 05:58 PM

It could also be due to water getting on the leaves. African violets cannot tolerate water on their leaves and the leaves will turn black becaue of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Houseplants and frost [ 2 Answers ]

We had our first frost last night. I have had my house plants outside since early spring, and didn't even think about them and the frost. They are sitting right next to the house and there is a tree overhead. I'm wondering if they are going to be all right...

Cat and houseplants [ 3 Answers ]

We have just brought our houseplants back inside from them being outside all summer. Our youngest cat (11 months old) likes to get in the planters and play in the soil tossing it out onto the floor. Any suggestions on what we can do to keep her out?

Cats chewing on houseplants [ 2 Answers ]

What can I do to keep my cat from chewing on real and artificial houseplants?

Houseplants [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a plant,"Ivy Starling",I followed the light and water instructions and for the first few months it was lovely. Then some of the stems started drying up . I had treated it for aphids and it did not seem to hurt it. When it started dying,I repoted with fresh soil and a clean pot. It seemed...

View more questions Search