Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AAJINQUIRE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Status of unsigned filings received and logged in by the court office.
    In Alberta, Canada, Small Claims Court: I, the plaintiff in a wrongful termination action, have properly filed and served the claim. The Defendant has replied by delivering an unsigned Dispute Note to the court office where it was received and time/date stamped within the allotted period. A copy of the same unsigned Dispute Note was delivered to me by registered mail and I acknowledged receipt (i.e. I signed for the envelope).

The questions:

1. Do I have grounds to claim that I have not received a valid Dispute Note? If so, may I request a default judgement?

2. If I get a default judgement is there reason to expect that the Defendant would be successful in an Application to Vacate the Default Judgement?

3. Does anyone have any specific experience with this type of problem or know of case law that I can reference?
    AAJINQUIRE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 02:52 PM
    For those who may be interested, the Court Clerk has informed me that once they have accepted and registered a Dispute Note its validity can only be argued in mediation or at trial. In Alberta non-binding arbitration can be mandated at the direction of the presiding Judge. Our Judge has ordered mediation, so that will be our next step. If mediation fails we will proceed to trial at a later date. AAJINQUIRE

This Query should now be considered CLOSED for comment... thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Received a court summons [ 1 Answers ]

How do I respond to a court summon that I recsived within 20 days?

Received court summons [ 5 Answers ]

This is my first time on this site and I'm only have a couple of simple questions. Yesterday I was served with a court summons for an old debt that was filed by an attorneys office. Must admit I'm really scared. This is a 3,000.00 Spiegel account and before it was sent to collections I did try...

Received a Court Summons for ? [ 4 Answers ]

I just received a court summons to give testimony from a juvenile court. What does that mean? I am age 24 at the moment, could this letter be for another person? I don't know what the case is about. It does not tell me on the letter. If anyone has any information, please help me out. Should I go to...

I have received a letter from attorneys office for debt collection [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering how long will it be before I reach a summons. I also live in the state of ca and will they have to sue me in California because I reside here? Also how long will it take for them to serve me a summons?

View more questions Search