Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    valgeron Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 06:57 AM
    10 year old son has fever for 6 days
    Hi, My 10 year old son has a fever for six days now. He started with 101 then the following days went to 103.5 and yesterday he had 100. All of the sudden today he started to go back up to 101. Took him to the doctor twice, once at the beginning and on sixth day. Gave him antibiotics today although he can't see a problem anywhere Just viral infection.
    I am getting nervous though because just a month ago he had a similar fever for 5 days and was hospitalized because he had some kind of seizure. Never had that before(Spaced out for about 1.5 minutes and couldn't talk but could hear what was going on) Had brain scan done and eyes dilated and everything was OK.
    My son is usually very healthy and has not had a fever for three years before this. This is his third time around with a fever in a month. I am really worried and have started looking into leukemia. Can anyone tell me that I am overreacting and that it is nothing. I will wait two more days to see if antibiotics work. But I can't seem to get past the fear that there is something else wrong. Has anyone gone through something similar?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Chances are you are over reacting by thinking it is leukemia. There are viruses going around right now that raise temps. Seizures caused by high temps are called febrile seizures and are usually harmless.

Have you been giving him motrin and tylenol to lower the fever? What have you been doing to treat the fever?
    valgeron Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Chances are you are over reacting by thinking it is leukemia. There are viruses going around right now that raise temps. Seizures caused by high temps are called febrile seizures and are usually harmless.

Have you been giving him motrin and tylenol to lower the fever? What have you been doing to treat the fever?
    Thanks for getting back to me. I have been giving him moltrin and tylenol. Actually yesterday I didn't need too. Today I started again when the fever went to 101.0 I just checked again and it's gone down to normal but he has been on tylenol for two hours. The doctors were concerned because the febrile seizures usually happen to kids that are under six years of age.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Febrile seizures can actually happen at any age, they are just more common at younger ages. Alternate the tylenol and motrin. You gave him tylenol, 2 hours later give motrin, then 2 hours later give tylenol. You see the pattern?

Does he have any other symptoms of anything? Complaints that his ears, throat, chest, etc hurts?

Follow the directions of the antibiotics until they are gone, usually 10 days. It can take 24 - 36 hours for the antibiotics to kick in, but takes the full 10 days to work effectively.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 year old 102.1 fever [ 6 Answers ]

I noticed my daughter had a little fever a couple of hours ago it was at 101 at like 8 pm its about to be 11 and its higher... should I give her motrin or tylenol? What temp is too high where I should worry about calling a doctor?

9 month old son has had fever for 2 days [ 8 Answers ]

Hi... I have a question about my son. He is 9 months old. He has been running a temp of 99-101.6 for 2 days. He is teething. He has his 8 teeth already. His back molars are coming in. He is drooling, chewing, fingers in month and very unhappy. He has been playing, eating, and laughing. This...

3yr. With low grade fever for 6 days [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My son is 3 yrs. Old and has had a low grade fever for 6 days now. I brought him to the doctors. 2 days ago and they found nothing. No strep, NO ear infection nothing. I don't understand why it isn't going away. Could he have new teeth coming in?

First Year Choice: 31 Days in 2005? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atalanta Expert: I am planning to make 2006 as first year choice of resident alien. However, I called IRS they told me to files as resident alien; I need 31 days in 2005. I convert from F-1 to H1B on December 31, 2005. I already filed for extension in 2006 thinking that by June 2006, I will...

14 year old Staffie, not eaten in 5 days [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the UK and my staffie, (a 14 year old staffordshire bull terrier weighing anout 23kg), has a heart murmur, but recently he started coughing, it turned out to be fluid in his lungs caused by the heart problem. I got some FORTEKOR, and some FRUSEMIDE from the vet, and the coughing...

View more questions Search