Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonyd3870 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2006, 10:25 PM
    Murray 5.0 won't start
    My Murray 5.0 push lawnmower won't start. It briefly started and when I started to mow, it cut off. This happened a couple of months ago so I checked the air filter and basically knocked all the dirt out and it started like it was brand new. Now it's won't start again. I knocked the dirt out of the air filter, added oil, and changed the spark plug. No luck. When I try to crank the engine, it barely starts but dies seconds later. I changed the oil at the beginning of the summer so I didn't think it was necessary to change again so soon. Help! :confused:
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2006, 09:50 AM
    The oil's not the problem... if the air filter was so dirty, replace it!.
    It sounds as though you got trash in the carb... which would mean taking it off, tearing it apart and at the most blowing it out with carb cleaner through any and all holes.
    tonyd3870 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 05:30 PM
    I'll try both and let you know what happened. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray Riding mower won't start [ 13 Answers ]

Driving along and it died, won't restart. Engine turns over, fire is getting to the spark plug, but won't kick in. Anybody know how to troubleshoot this problem. I hate to take it to the shop, feel like it is a simple problem. It has gas, the plug is new, and has oil. Susan:confused:

Murray 11hp won't start, help please... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a little bit older model Murray riding lawnmower with the 11hp B&S engine. Im not sure exactly what year or model, the number I got off the engine and entered into B&S's website said it was not found?? But anyway, I have a brand new battery, power cables, solenoid, key ignition and...

Murray Rider Will Not Start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Murray Select Ridding Mower model # 425600x8A it will not start? The fuse is fine. The seat switch was disconnected the key switch is on the funny thing is that I disconnected the battery ground side and when I touch the cable to the GR post the engine turns over, but no spark. I noticed...

Murray rider won't start [ 8 Answers ]

Ive got a fully charged battery, the starter just chugs a little, Not enough to start it up, and the red connection at the starter Heats up and smokes. Is the starter bad, or do I have electrical problem elsewhere? I think I just replaced the starter last summer. Help?

Murray 12.5 Commercial Mower - Briggs Engine - Won't Start/Turn [ 3 Answers ]

So I'm mowing my back yard with my Murray lawn tractor. I brought it back to the garage and parked it, went inside to cool off, and when I went back out to put it back into the garage, it wouldn't start. I turned the key, and got nothing. The lights work, the battery is charged to 100%,...

View more questions Search