Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ghadi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2006, 10:12 PM
    Help with 30 day notice
    I have a friend renting a room from me at my home. He decided he's going to move out yesterday 8/20/06 and didn't give me a 30 day notice. I come home and his belongings are packed up. Isn't he obligated to give a 30 ay notice and pay a prorated amount if the notice goes into the next month? Or can he just leave leaving me hi and dry?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 22, 2006, 06:04 AM
    Do you have any sort of written agreement with him? Did you collect any security or first and last?

At the top of this post are some "sticky" notes with links to Landlord-Tenant laws for various areas. I suggest you look at the laws for your area and see what they say if no lease exists.

Even if he is required to give you notice, good luck trying to collect from him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 day notice [ 2 Answers ]

I am giving a 30 day notice on the first of the month and wanted to know if rent had to be paid during that time. I will actually be gone before the 30 days is up. A friend who owns and rents property told me that legally I am not required to pay but most people do because they don't know any...

30 day notice [ 5 Answers ]

If I put in a 30 day notice on the 5th and they did not get it until the 9th. The notice is dated the 5th can they make me stay or pay until the 9th even it I will be gone on the 2nd. Also can they evict me if I paid $375 which of which my security deposit was $850.00 and the rent is $1225. I...

30 day notice? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm in San Diego, California and I was initially on a lease, which expired over year ago so I am now month to month. The lease stipulates that if the lease expires without renewal the terms of the lease still apply in the month to month situation. The lease also stipulates that the tenant shall...

30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

If I received a 30 day notice on the 31st of the month, do I still have to pay the rent on the 1st. :confused: :confused:

2 week notice [ 1 Answers ]

Can an employer terminate you after you give 2 weeks notice without pay? I've heard of employers terminating employees but paying them for the 2 weeks. Someone that works in HR here in California says an at-will employee can be terminated without cause after they give notice and there is no need...

View more questions Search