Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ihaq123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 03:52 AM
    International student query on tax filing
    Hi,

I started working on my CPT from May 2008 to dec 2008 in a New York based company. My university is from Illinois and I have no income from my on-campus job this year. Do I have to file my state taxes for both Illinois and New York. Also, could you please tell me which forms do I fill out and where I can mail them. I'd be really thankful to you.

Regards.

IHAQ
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 04:22 AM

You work for New York based company.
    Where do you work?
    ihaq123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 06:10 AM

I worked in Florida but my W-2 shows taxes from NY state.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 09:28 PM

If you live and work is a state but your employer is from another state, then your income is only subject to the state where you live and work. It is not income of the state where your employer is.

If you are present in a state, then any income earned during this period, must be reported to the state.

To your resident state, you must report your worldwide income for the year.

Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

International student filing through Turbo Tax [ 1 Answers ]

As an International student filing for the first time, I filed using turbo tax and later found out that I did not file as a non-resident because I did no use form 1040nr what is the next step to take please?

Tax query International student, bank income, tax rebate [ 2 Answers ]

1.Came from overseas, previously worked and saved some money, now a student with no employment; income being only the interest from bank. 2.How to pay tax on this since I do not have W-2, no withholding etc. 3. If someone goes back home overseas, now out of status but still has funds in US...

Tax Filing for international student with F1 visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in US since 2005 sept and this year(2007) was the first time I tried to file taxes. I used the 1040 EZ form to files taxes and today I got the stimulus package. From my frens, I realized that I was supposed to file 1040 NR EZ and was not eligible for the stimulus package. I am...

View more questions Search