Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mace724 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 03:31 PM
    SOL to file order to Show cause, Vacte Default Judgment?
    In NY, have a default judgment to garnish wages that we were never properly served a summons on, to show up in court.

The default judgment was awarded Feb of 2008, executed Jan 2009, when we first became aware of it, when the Marshal's office sent us a copy of the default Judgment by certified mail, also received in January 2009.

We will seek to vacate the default judgment based on Improper Service (no personal jurisdiction).

Is there a SOL or time frame we have to meet in order to file a RJU for order to show cause and vacate the default judgment, in NY on the grounds of lack of jurisdiction?

Thanks in advance
    mace724 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 03:38 PM
    In NY can a Default Judgment be attched to your deed?
    Live in NY, my wife is on the deed with me and just had a default judgment for wage garnishment sent to her via certified mail from the Marshal's office in January.

Trying to do a re-fi the Title compmany says the default judgment is attched to the deed even though the clerk at the Land Records division in our court house shows no liens or attachments.

Is the Title company right? (they want to hold twice the amount of the default judgment monies in escrow till satisfied in order to continue with the re-fi)

Do I have to wait to vacate the judgment before doing a quit claim of my wife off the deed (to avoid any further default judgments being attached) or can I quit claim deed now, but if I do so, will I be responsible for any of my wife's attachements while she was still on the deed?

Thanks,
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 03:40 PM

This should be combined with your other post and I would do NOTHING without the advice of an Attorney. You could be walking on quicksand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file a default judgment in PA [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the steps I need to take to file a "default judgment" against the defendant? We were the plantiff's in Distric Court and won, then the defendant filed an appeal. I filed the answers to his complaint and he never responded. I then sent him his reminder notice to answer the...

Won order to Vacate Judgment-how delete from county clerk file? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I won an order to vacate a default judgment. The judge asked me to get a copy of the transcript of the court session, she signed it, and it was sent on to the county clerks office. My default judgment is officially vacated, yet the transcript is now public record. I would like to file some...

Order of Default and Judgment [ 1 Answers ]

Three years ago I filed chapter 13. One of my Creditors did not put in a claim, then after three years after my chapter 13 is over with they are taking me to court to get a judgement. I'm going to fight this on July 3 I was hoping that some one might give me a little advice. I live in Washington...

Default Judgment [ 8 Answers ]

In 1996 I bought my son a set of drums. I received financing for the drum set from a financial company. In 1997 I lost my job and could not make the payments and called the company to let them know I had lost my job and could not afford to may payment and that I was moving out of state and let...

Default judgment [ 2 Answers ]

I have lived in MA since 8/1998, previously having lived in NY. I just (10/2006) received notification of wage garnishment order (income execution) based on a default judgment for an old debt ($2611). The 'entry date' for the default judgment was July 2003, but this was the first I'd heard about...

View more questions Search