Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bk39 Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 01:30 PM
    New PC specs
    Seahawk83 and Scottgem, et al, let me have your input.

Dell took back the Inspiron530s and the graphics card that did not work.

I am going to order another Dell when the credit for the returns go through.

I am still computer illiterate but gained a lot of knowledge from you two and others.
    Here is what I am looking for. Remember, I am an old goat, not too computer savvy, and the cost is critical. I am not much a game person but I do want to use MicroSoft Flight Simulator which requires a high range graphics card 8500 or better and higher wattage.
    Here is what I am thinking of getting but subject to change, Please let me have your thoughts on this. Add any suggestions that you feel important that I may be lacking on my list.
    My deepest thanks once again to all that reply.

1. Vista Home Premium
    2. 4GB ram
    3. 500 hard drive
    4. 64bit
    5. MS Works (I believe this comes with Vista, if not, I would get it.)
    6. MS Office 7 (I believe this is extra)
    7. Wattage (this I have no idea but the one I sent back had 250 watts and was not sufficient to run the high graphics card I need. 500W? 750W? 1000W?
    8. XFX GeForce 9500GT 1GB, DDR3, 550M, TV/DVI PCIE (about $100 added cost)
    9. And of course NOT a slim tower as was the 530s.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Feb 26, 2009, 01:51 PM

Since you are getting this from Dell... don't worry about the wattage.. if you add the higher end GFX card, they will make sure the system has enough power to run it.. and good move, stay away from slim towers if you are going to play any games like that too much heat build up.

Good choice for the GFX card, and the 4GB ram

If you get Office, then you won't need MS Works ( I think dell gives an option to remove it - why let it clutter up your HD)

What is your budget?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2009, 01:54 PM

With 4G of Ram gor for the 64 bit version of Vista

Works doesn't come with Vista but is routinely bundled into PCs. But if you pay for Office 2007, then ask them not to install Works.

I'm assuming Dell will only give you a credit not a refund so you have to buy replacement from them.

Feb 26, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Buying new dell PC
    [QUOTE=ScottGem;1572173]With 4G of Ram gor for the 64 bit version of Vista

Works doesn't come with Vista but is routinely bundled into PCs. But if you pay for Office 2007, then ask them not to install Works.

I'm assuming Dell will only give you a credit not a refund so you have to buy replacement from them.

Yes, I am stuck with Dell as they were the only that offered me credit and of course, the return will be a credit with them.

Since it is credit and I have 200 years to pay it back in pennies at exhorbitant interest, that's why I got to do what I got to do. It'll probably cost 300 grand by the time it is paid off but I am doing my part to keep the economy going.

I have a question. Someone said there are problems with a 62 bit, I don't know what or how it will affect me but you say to support 4g it is better. Why? And have you heard of any problem w/ the 64bit? ScottGem also says 62 bit is better. I am confused.
    Thanks.

Feb 26, 2009, 03:24 PM

There were originally compatibility problems with the 64 bit version. But these have been ironed out. The 32bit version can't address more than 3G of Ram, so you won't get full advantage of the 4G if you put in the 32bit version.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 04:00 PM
    In reference to the 32-bit not being able to see all 4GB. In the absence of the /PAE switch hack, the Windows memory is limited to 4 GB no more. The reason you will only see like 3.0-3.3 GB is because in most cases your address space is filled with just RAM. But when you reach the max RAM all of your memory-mapped devices (Graphics Card, BIOS ROM etc.. Will start using your RAm and filling up your space)
    So as far as the RAM thing goes just put 3 GB in your machine because that's what you're going to see anyway. By putting 3GB in your machine you save on the cost of the extra gig but you put a little more strain on your HD, but with 500GiG it's not an issue.

Lets say you only had 3 GB. You would see all 3 Gigs because when you're not maxed out the divices mentioned above use your hard drive as it's cache ( I believe this is how it works.) I will be corrected if I am wrong!

The above is if you decide on 32-bit!

But I would recommend a 64-bit OS because your RAM options are limitless. Your MAX RAM is 18 GB. So it will read all 4 Gigs ( I believe) you're not limited to 4GB (3.3GB actually]like 32-bit]), any kinks have been ironed out as mentioned above.

Remember anythign I said is from my knowledge I could be wrong. I will be corrected if any of this is wrong.

Rick
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 26, 2009, 04:04 PM
    FYI it's 4Gb TOTAL memory, so this includes installed RAM as well as any memory on your graphics card (and other add cards) as well.

Dells are well known for not addressing 4Gb in 32 bits XP, hence the 3.3Gb reading.
    From my own research this appears to be a BIOS issue.

Feb 26, 2009, 09:10 PM
    New PC max for lowest cost, maybe...
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    In reference to the 32-bit not being able to see all 4GB. In the absence of the /PAE switch hack, the Windows memory is limited to 4 GB no more. The reason you will only see like 3.0-3.3 GB is because in most cases your address space is filled with just RAM. But when you reach the max RAM all of your memory-mapped devices (Graphics Card, BIOS ROM etc.. will start using your RAm and filling up your space)
    So as far as the RAM thing goes just put 3 GB in your machine because thats what you're going to see anyways. By putting 3GB in your machine you save on the cost of the extra gig but you put a little more strain on your HD, but with 500GiG it's not an issue.

Lets say you only had 3 GB. You would see all 3 Gigs because when you're not maxed out the divices mentioned above use your hard drive as it's cache ( I believe this is how it works.) I will be corrected if I am wrong!

But I would recomend a 64-bit OS because your RAM options are limitless. Your MAX RAM is 18 GB. So it will read all 4 Gigs ( i believe) you're not limited to 4GB (3.3GB actually]like 32-bit]), any kinks have been ironed out as mentioned above.

Remember anythign I said is from my knowledge I could be wrong. I will be corrected if any of this is wrong.

Rick
    bk39 confused, not at all technical. So is the 4gig okay with the 64bit?
    Anything other suggestions about anything else rereading my original thoughts?
    Thanks everyone for your help.

bk39... what is a BIOS issue? Explain simply for me please.This is all a real education for me and I appreciate all you input, from all of you.

bk39... So do I want the 4g or go for 3.0 or 3.3g?

Feb 27, 2009, 07:45 AM

You want 64bit Vista with 4G of RAM.

The BIOS is a chip on the mother board that controls the interaction of the OS with the hardware.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Feb 27, 2009, 01:22 PM

I Have Vista64 and almost all the apps I have work fine (Vb6 is a little cranky - but I moved to .net so problem solved! Lol)

And Battlefield2 is picky, but worked fine in compatibility mode)

Other then that.. vista64 is fast and stable. I'm happy with it.
    Andrew Carstens Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

Apr 20, 2009, 08:00 AM

You shuld order the HP Firebird with VoodooDNA 802 Desktop PC its viry powerful very reliable and will satisfy all you gaming and personal needs and has no problems with graphics. Avalible at HP® Official Store — Buy HP Firebird with VoodooDNA from HP

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tire Specs. [ 7 Answers ]

I own a 1994 Dodge Caravan with tires size 195/70/R14 on it. I wanted to know if I would be able to put 195/60/R14 on the van without having any issues with incorrect tires? I want to put the 195/60/R14 tires on the front and leave the 195/70/R14 on the rear.

Wearing specs is necessary [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am 23 years aged guy. I had short sight problem from my college days (for 2 years).. but at that time I didn't care and I thought that won't be a problem. One month before I went for eye check-up.. and the doctor told that I have a short sight problem.. my power is -0.75. And he also...

Cisnet - need my specs [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Cisnet CA-3008B computer, I found the complete specs before, with all specs included, including what I can upgrade it to. I lost the document, and now want to upgrade without changing my motherboard. Need to know maximum processor I can put in there, running amd. Any help? Already...

Wiring specs [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to run an electrical wire to power a 5 ton central air - 220/40 volts - 40 amps. Its length is approxaimately 60 feet from the panel - what type /wire gauge do I need?

Belt specs [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find the dimensions for the belt on a 1999 yardman tractor the oem part number is 742-0485 according to the parts manual. The tractor is second hand and I believe the belt on it is incorrect and it keeps throwing the belt and cutting it .Thanks

View more questions Search