Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 12:00 PM
    Getting Arrest Warrant Enforced
    Say, for instance, there is a warrant for a deadbeat dad issued by a Texas court. Obviously Texas is not going to actively search for him, particularly since he is out of state.

How would one - the affected ex-spouse - get that warrant enforced? If she knew the general location of the deadbeat, but not exact, would a call to that local sheriff suffice? Is there a private firm (bounty hunter?) that she could pay to get the deadbeat arrested?

The money owed is not an issue and no one cares if it is ever collected. The money spent to have justice served is not an issue either.

(No - this does not pertain to my fiancée or I - this was a discussion we were having over dinner the other night - hypothetical)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 01:13 PM

Even if the person did get arrested, who do you think will be paying the travel fees to get this person back to Court in Texas? Certainly not Texas for back child support.

This person would have to owe thousands upon thousands of dollars in back child support before anyone really pays attention to them or even cares.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 01:18 PM

You are asking specifically about Texas - I know of similar cases in NY. Either a licensed private investigator (or somewhat with similar sources) is given the info that is available and asked to find very specific information on the non-custodial parent, which info is then turned over to the local authorities by the Attorney for the custodial parent or a representative of the custodial's parent's Police Department OR the custodial parent takes that info to Court on a contempt motion, the motion is granted, the person is picked up. In my area law enforcement does not - as far as I know - accept warrant info from private parties. I know, doesn't make sense.

As Twinkie said - whether to extradite could be the problem.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 01:20 PM

This one caught my eye - I'm waiting for a contempt of court hearing on a judgment I was awarded. There's a bench warrant for the defendant because she didn't show up for a criminal traffic hearing. So either a)they don't serve her at all and my hearing gets cancelled, b)they serve her and somehow overlook that there's a warrant for her arrest or c)they serve her, arrest her and I end up not getting paid anyway. Awesome :)
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You are asking specifically about Texas - I know of similar cases in NY. Either a licensed private investigator (or somewhat with similar sources) is given the info that is available and asked to find very specific information on the non-custodial parent, which info is then turned over to the local authorities by the Attorney for the custodial parent or a representative of the custodial's parent's Police Department OR the custodial parent takes that info to Court on a contempt motion, the motion is granted, the person is picked up. In my area law enforcement does not - as far as I know - accept warrant info from private parties. I know, doesn't make sense.

As Twinkie said - whether or not to extradite could be the problem.
    Its really just a what if situation. The specific condition we were talking about was based on Texas, but we were really interested in a general rule of thumb.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    Its really just a what if situation. The specific condition we were talking about was based on Texas, but we were really interested in a general rule of thumb.

Realise it's a "what if" and it's a good question. I would think a lot depends on how much is owed, what other trouble the person gets into, how badly State #2 wants to ship him/her back to State #1, whether the authorities in State #2 take it personally, a lot of factors.
    panaya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2009, 11:04 AM
    Unbelievable isn't it I've got a warrant out on my ex who owes over 11000.00 in back support but that's as far as it goes no arrest or anything done. He's getting an inherritance I'll probably not see any of my back sopport which is not fare but some how he seems to always get away with it. My youngest is 22 how long do I have to wait. All back sopport should have to be paid especially if there is orders after orders from the courts
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2009, 04:42 PM

You have answered a thread that is almost a year old.

If yours is a question, it's piggybacked.

Either way the problem is that this takes time away from current questions and people who are waiting for answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat at large/failure to appear warrant for arrest [ 9 Answers ]

There is a warrant for my arrest ( I just found out today) from 12/2001 for a ticket I did not pay and failed to appear for in court for "cat at large" (my cat was outside). The officer I found this out from today said I could go to jail for this. Shouldn't there be some kind of statute of...

Warrants how do you find out if you have a warrant for your arrest [ 5 Answers ]

The police went to my mom house looking for me and would not tell her why how do I find out what it is all about with out getting arrested. I have an attorney but he doesn't seem to be doing anything. I thought you could just call the courts criminal division an ask.

Warrant For Arrest [ 4 Answers ]

Can the police in Ont, CAN put up a warrant for your arrest, if they SUSPECT you for theft over $5000?

Arrest warrant in another state 600miles away. [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend is taking an accounting class here in South Carolina.Her school did a background check and it came up that she has an arrest warrant back at her home state of Delaware.She called Delaware to see what the warrant was for and it was done by a company that she worked for over eight years...

Arrest warrant [ 3 Answers ]

I have a warant for "failure to appear on suspended license. Can I fly to another state{S.C.} without being arrested at the airport in detroit ?

View more questions Search