Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommyoftwins200 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Feb 26, 2009, 10:37 AM
    Having problems with Skype
    I just received my new laptop yesterday, a Dell XPS M1530, I downloaded Skype so that me and my family can see and talk to my brother and niece, well we can see each other, he can hear us, we can't hear him. I was on the phone with Dell for an hour yesterday and there is nothing wrong with the computer the sound is fine, I can record myself and hear it play back. I tried messing with all of the sound settings on skype and cannot figure it out for the life of me. PLEASE HELP!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 06:13 PM

Start here:

Help for Skype – user guides, FAQs, customer support

Also, it might be a problem on their end. Below my name to the left there is my Skype Link. Click on it and give me a buzzz... identify yourself as an AMHD member and we'll see if you can hear ME. I know my mic works.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2009, 06:20 PM

What kind of headset are you using?

If I am using a USB headset, I must go to Tools/options/audio settings and set the USB device Every time.

Skype frequently crashes if you unplug the USB headset.

You may have to use a high power USB port.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2009, 06:27 PM

Sounds like the problem is on his end. Could be a bad mic, not connected properly, problems with the software drivers.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2009, 06:48 PM

Both of you need to make test calls. Make sure the mic isn't muted. Some have mute buttons on the headset.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skype query [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, Just a couple of questions: 1. Can I operate Skype if I have a wireless connection? 2. What hardware do I need to purchase to get started with Skype? Thanks

Skype on Mac [ 1 Answers ]

Hi every body, I have a problem with my friend's Mc. I joined in my Skype account through his Mc but whatever I've done in my skype account it reduced from his credit in skype. For instance I sent sms from my account to my mobile number just to check the texting process but the sms I got was...

Skype vs Yahoo [ 1 Answers ]

Im just curious about his skype. What Skype has that Yahoo calling messenger doesn't offer? Does it have any diffference if 2 persons are both talking from computer to computer?

Outlook & Skype Conflicts [ 12 Answers ]

Has anyone noticed or is aware of a conflict between Outlook 2003 and Skype? I recently began having various problems with Outlook locking up, sometimes on launch, and sometimes on Send. Of course, recently MS sent out a bunch of updates for Win XP, and I thought maybe one of those started the...

Skype phones [ 4 Answers ]

Short question. How does a Skype phone work or where can I get an answer? Tried several places but they just want to sell phones not answer questions..

View more questions Search