Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    latingmex Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 09:40 AM
    Adobe acrobat 6 pro and adobe reader 9 in IE
    Hi Everyone,

I am supporting a remote user who has adobe acrobat 6 pro... and adobe reader 9.
    He uses adobe 6 pro to convert excel files to PDFs for invoice purposes.

When when he goes to our intranet/extranet sites and clicks on PDF links IE 6 tells him that he needs to have adobe reader 8 or 9 installed to view PDFs online. (yet he already has version 9 installed).

I went to My computer > tools > folder options > file types > and for all PDF related file types I had it set so they can open with adobe reader 9.
    When he goes to the intranet and clicks on a PDF link it gives him the same error message... that he must use reader v 8 or 9.

Any ideas on how acrobat 6 professional and adobe reader 9 can co-exist in windows XP and IE6?? Thanks much
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 02:56 PM

Foxit reader is free and can be used to read pdf files and can be set to default viewer for pdf files - very small in size and uses less resources than adobe

Free Reader

Foxit Reader itself is free. The critical add-ons are free while advanced add-ons have a reasonable cost. For example, you can use the following functions for free:

* View or print PDF document
    * Add or edit bookmarks in a PDF file if the security settings allow
    * Basic PDF form operations i.e. filling out PDF forms and printing them out
    * Advanced PDF form operations, such as saving filled-out forms and import/export forms, free for personal and non-personal usage
    * View PDF as text
    * Critical add-ons, such as UI language package, JPEG2000/JBIG decoder, CJK package, GDI+ for early Windows version,
    Information Site
    Foxit Software - Foxit Reader 3.0 for Windows

Download
    Foxit Software - Foxit Reader for Windows
    NoDaddy dot com Posts: 101, Reputation: 0

Feb 27, 2009, 10:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    foxit reader is free and can be used to read pdf file
    And is NOT bloatware

+1

It will immediately 'hijack' extension association so there's no thinking required. Download exe, no setup required, place in location you would like it to live permanently, and run once

Done

HTH

The Peoples Cube - correct opinion for progressives
    Attached Images

maelteir Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2010, 01:34 AM
    A simple solution is to adjust the configuration of Adobe pro 6 by disabling all check boxes in the internet settings. These settings can be accessed from edit, preferences, Internet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can someone with Adobe Acrobat get me out of a fix? [ 2 Answers ]

I've got AA 6.0 pro but my new Vista machine hates it :mad: Can someone pretty please convert the attached file to pdf for me? Mooooocho Gracias!

Adobe Acrobat 6 Professional [ 4 Answers ]

I have been using this version of Acrobat for a couple of years but suddenly when I try to open any windows in any web sites the program runs through the opening procedure (which it has never done before) then gives me this message " instruction at 0x2d82fa63 referenced memory at 0x00000008" and...

Adobe Acrobat: Save web page to .pdf [ 8 Answers ]

I've got Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0. Saving a webpage as pdf: 2006 Program Guide I want to squish it to one page (.pdf). I want to try it both landscape and portrait to see if either is readable... How do I do this? Thanks!

View more questions Search