Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blessedmom Posts: 104, Reputation: 6

Feb 26, 2009, 09:07 AM
    Can I switch from electric range to gas range
    I have an electric range but I need to buy a new one. I heard that cooking on a gas range is so much better. My husband pulled the range away from the wall and there is a little pipe sticking out of the wall. Is that for a gas stove?

Thank you!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:10 AM

You'll have to determine whether the pipe is a gas line or something else. If it's not, you'll have to run a gas line.

Some gas stoves require electricity also.

Feb 26, 2009, 03:05 PM

How do I know if it is a gas line? What else could it be?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 03:31 PM
    For gas, it has to be black iron pipe. You can follow the pipe in the basement or crawl space and see if it connects to the main gas inlet. That's the only way to be sure (except to bleed a little gas from it and smell it, but I don't recommend that).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 04:54 PM

Perito is right, nearly every gas range also needs a 120v receptacle for lights, clock,timer, etc... The pipe is likely an old gas connection but if it is not capped behind the stove it must be disconnected elsewhere. Gas pipes used to be always black iron and most main runks still are. However CSST is now commonly used in homes. It looks like a yellow plastic ppe but there is stainless steel inside. Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) for Gas Distribution

Mar 3, 2009, 03:46 PM

Thank you! The pipe is black iron with a cap on it. So if I decide to buy a gas stove do I need to call the gas company out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you convert a gas range over to an electric range? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! We just brought a started house and it is electric through out except for the cooking stove or range is gas. The problem is that it's causing our utility bill to run more that the house payments. I wanted to know if there is a way to switch from a gas range to an electric range. And if...

Electric range [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, We have a GE; spectra electric range, and my wife says that the oven does not get to the correct temp. Can the element be going bad? TIA, Schins

What are your long-range and short-range career goals and objectives, and how are you [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, What are your long-range and short-range career goals and objectives, and how are you preparing to achieve them?

Changing from a gas range to an electric smooth top range [ 1 Answers ]

What are the requirement for switching from cooking with a gas stove to cooking with and electric stove

Electric range [ 2 Answers ]

The digital clock works, the timer works, even the lights come one indicating a burner or oven is on BUT the neither the burners not the oven heats.

View more questions Search